SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
magnoliasouth

Help! How to make a low maintenance yard without going into debt?

magnoliasouth
10 years ago

Hi all! I sure hope you experts can help me out.

First, let me explain my situation. My husband is a government contractor and Obama's budget cuts have sliced into both our income and benefits. On top of everything, my jobless son has had to move back home and my divorce getting daughter has too. Then I have my mother who has dementia and to top it all off, my husband is presently working in California and I'm in Alabama. He was transferred and I can't sell the house! Also, I'm an early retired nurse (did it for 25 years though) due to serious back problems. Oh and I almost forgot. My son's best friend from high school (we call him our "adopted son")was homeless, so we took him in too. The more the not-so-merrier. I complain, but it's the right thing to do. Anyway....

As you can see I'm under a tremendous amount of stress. My son and my adopted son can help me for now, but I'd rather them find a good job and move out. In which case, they won't be able to help. My daughter at present is working two jobs.

So! I have 2/3 acre of land that is, needless to say, in shambles. I really neglected it last year when my mother got sick. I prefer to call it my weed garden/yard because that's really what it is.

I also have an ongoing hateful battle with bamboo that the previous owner planted. I hate that stuff! I wish it would just die.

I live in a very rainy/humid area too. Do you all have any suggestions on self-sustaining plants, something to edge the driveway and sidewalk, and general low cost low maintenance plants?

I found this plan ( http://goo.gl/tu3HSA ) but the problem is all that mulch. Good googly goo I can't afford that. Not to mention the septic location. The only good spot in my back yard that gets full sun is the septic lines, where I can't grow anything but grass.

How should I go about doing this? Any frugal tips that won't break my back? I'm at a loss on what to do.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations