SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
noahpapi

Frustrating contractor

noahpapi
14 years ago

I am in the midst of a kitchen and bathroom remodel project and need advice on how to best handle a difficult contractor. I've basically had to be the one managing the project because he constantly either doesn't answer my questions or lets details slip. The biggest thing driving me nuts right now is that although we've already paid several upgrade change orders to our project which adds to his already significant profit on this project, we found a countertop guy that could give us the same countertop as my GC's guy but for $1000 less. I asked the GC to credit me the cost of his quoted price in the contract and let me use the other countertop guy. He's saying he wouldn't credit me the whole price because that includes his profit. But neither he or his countertop people have done any work yet. He's try to stick me for profit on work not done yet? Is this normal? I've tried treating him with kindness and respect, I've tried the indirect route of telling him he's not managing the job, and I've tried to, more recently, just be blunt in my unhappiness. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (3)