SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sophie123_gw

Partial Overlay Cabinets in new kitchen to match rest of house?

sophie123
13 years ago

We have custom partial overlay builts in in our study and living room in the same traditional style (raised panel painted white) and made by the same cabinet maker. We have also it in our current kitchen which we are remodelign and moving to a back room of the house. We could reuse some of the current kitchen cabinets where they are as it is partially becoming a butlers pantry so a small cost savings. Otherwise we could have the rest made by the same cabinet maker.

The question i have is if partial overlay cabinets are hopelessly out of style. I hardly ever see them in new kitchens. We like the current cabinets and they held up really well over 20 years of use but i wonder if i will look at them in 5 years and say what a short sighted decision.

Our architect recommended inlay cabinets for our kitchen. Which are more expensive and we don't absolutely love. the other option is full overlay which i find to be heavy looking for our smallish kitchen.

Just looking for advice and counsel for others who had different cabinetry in the rest of the house and thoughts on whether partial overlay traditional cabinets will looked dated. Thanks!

Comments (7)