SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamie1s

Illuminating the screen porch: low cost, non-tacky

Jamie
10 years ago

We moved in last September and rescreened, scraped and painted the screen porch. We'll redo the ceiling in the fall, but I desperately want to have the porch to relax on immediately and for the next few months. This is a completely outdoorish porch -- the rain comes in throught the screens.

I have purchased a globe for the ceiling fan light. I find the light very, very unpleasant and will use it for utility purposes only. I need 2 kinds of light for the porch -- one to read by and one to provide a pleasant glow for conversation.

I figured I'd put a small table where you see the stool, and put an outdoor lamp on that to read by. The porch has no definite style, and I don't intend to buy furniture for it. Would you recommend a lamp that looks like a camp lantern? A candlestick lamp?

For ambience I thought a string of lights could either be fun or tacky. I don't want to settle for tacky just because I'm not fully decorating the porch. What do you think about string lights in this application? I have some plain white Christmas strings, or I could get inexpensive ones like in the link? Would either option offer enough light to have drinks with friends out there in the evening?

Here is a link that might be useful: Sears string lights

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County