SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scrappygal

Looking for suggestions on odd Kitchen layout

Scrappygal
10 years ago

I have been puzzling over my kitchen. I am lucky in that I have two openings, lots of space (10 1/2x15 1/2 and two windows that look out to our grade school next door! However... trying to find something to follow online is next to impossible, it's not a galley, it's not a U or a G or an L!

How the kitchen is now: Eat in area has island with overhang and 4 large drawers. My wish list:
1) still a place to eat in the kitchen
2) about 2 more food storage cupboards
3) 1-2 more "kitchen stuff" cupboards
4) would love to have the oven on the same side as the sink-I often find myself turning from oven with a pot of boiling pasta to take to the sink to drain it to find a little one under foot (we have 3 small children).
5) resalable-not sure if this is our forever home and I don't want to scare off buyers.

View from wall behind current island.

My first remodel idea that I'm actually happy with. It involves basically tearing down a non-loadbearing wall/opening the existing opening. The only issue is I have the dishwasher next to the stove. While I find this odd, I can't have it in the peninsula as it would open into the sink area where I'm usually loading dishes. If I have the peninsula coming out of the opposite wall and move the dishwasher to the left of the sink, the dishwasher opens directly into the path to the dining room. The advantage is it gives me a landing pad next to the oven on the left. On the right side of the oven I'd have drawers for pots and pans and drawer for ladles, spoons, etc. The cupboard above the dishwasher will be for oils, spices, pasta and rice.

The drawers on the peninsula will house our cups, bowls and plates. My kids unload the dishwasher and set the table, this allows the dishes to be at their level, it's close to the dining room, eating area (we'd be eating our breakfast and lunch there as we do at the current island and the peninsula we had in our last house-the dining table is for dinner), the dishwasher is still close enough that unloading is not burdensome as eating dishes are our most used dishes.

The new flooring would match the rest of the main level (dining and living room and hallway).

I think stainless dishwasher and stove next to each other might be a bit much, I think maybe black dishwasher next to stainless stove might be better? The vent will be through the microwave and it will vent outside. The stove will be a 1/3&2/3 split with convection or 50/50 with convection, microwave will have fan with it. Cabinet above will hide the exhaust while still providing some storage, or maybe since it's lopsided with that oil/spice cupboard maybe a nicer exhaust fan would look better? Not sure what my options are with micro over oven and exhaust outside.

Comments (12)