SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clubm

What is your motto...........

clubm
15 years ago

I have two:

This too shall pass

Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow, because you may not have to do it after all.

Comments (57)

• Nita__AZ
    15 years ago

Having a teenager I say "you can get mad and you can get glad" alot. lol

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it. :-)

And this too shall pass was taught to me by my mom and I have used it many, many time when times were tough.

Jodi-

• Related Discussions

my new motto

Q

Comments (18)
    Don't feel so bad :)....I was just getting where I wouldn't bring home any MORE new stuff unless I knew what I wanted to do with it, or had a place to put it, or someone else who needed it..and oh,yeah,bring bags of stuff to donate...then my friend becomes a manager at one of my favorite getting places!!! Now I just figure I have to come up with even more ideas or imitations :P'''''... If gas prices weren't so high, I'd have WAY more junque than I do......(if I say "junque" instead of "junk"...does it make my stuff more classy??) Happy Junqueing Cherry P.S. I have to go back to Goodwill to find a punch bowl, my hyper dog just knocked over my glass birdbath and it fell on an old cast iron pump and the bowl smashed into a bajillion pieces. I never knew he could get that far on his tie out line, but he managed to reach out and knock it over. You think he did it on purpose??? LOL
    ...See More

Personal Motto

Q

Comments (62)
    From Bart Simpson (well, okay, the writers for him): I'm the visionary, you come up with the nuts and bolts. Three sayings on magnets or cartoons on my fridge: You cannot reason with an hungry belly; it has no ears A Greek proverb I love the beach - the ocean makes my butt look smaller The only skills I have the patience to learn are those that have no real application in life. Calvin from Calvin & Hobbs
    ...See More

OT: state mottos

Q

Comments (15)
    igloochic, that was printed on a T-shirt sold in the Wall St area (clogged with tourists) of Manhattan a few years ago. Welcome to NY on the front Now go home on the back. Yeah, I wanted one.
    ...See More

Can you name a motto you live by?

Q

Comments (56)
    From Grandma, "Don't creoss bridges till you get there!", related to worrying about something that may well never happen. Worrying doesn't change anything, anyway. Love your neighbour as yourself. (But ... not your neighbour's wife). ole joyful
    ...See More
  • lunchlady1948
    15 years ago

I have always told my kids to keep their Karma clean AKA what goes around comes around.

Peace is also my motto or mantra I wear jewlery that says Peace carry a charm in my wallet and on my key chain that says it, in every room of my house you will see the word Peace somewhere. This I want above all else in my family to me everything else will flollow.

• caflowerluver
    15 years ago

S*it happens! Sometimes it is the only way to explain the bad things that happen for no reason.
    Clare

• gramzeeinmd
    15 years ago

Treat others as you want to be treated.
    Deb

• kayjones
    15 years ago

Life is too short NOT to eat dessert first! (Erma Bombeck)

Get outta my face - I'm kickin' butt and taking names!

For the same reason you haven't won the lottery - that's just the way it is!

• molly109
    15 years ago

If you live in the past - you miss the present.

• Jerri
    15 years ago

You have to lay down to be walked on.

I also often fall back on the 'this too shall pass' attitude.
    j

• ashli
    15 years ago

Personal Motto:
    Yesterdays' Gone. Tomorrow doesn't exist. There's only today.

Noone has ever liked my motto... They say it's depressing...ha...(Maybe because it's true)

• lindaohnowga
    15 years ago

Besides the Golden Rule, my motto is: Have fun, be nuts. What did sanity ever do for you?

• bulldinkie
    15 years ago

Ill be nice to anyone who is nice to me.....

• Happy_Go_Lucky_Gayle
    15 years ago

I once had a bumper sticker that said "Why Be Normal?".

I like: "Live, Love, Laugh"

"Don't hold on to Negative Thoughts".

"You can choose to be happy, or choose to be sad. It is a Choice".

Gayle

• danihoney
    15 years ago

I use a few;

What goes around comes around
    Treat people the way you want to be treated
    If you can't be nice be quiet -I use this one A LOT
    You get what you give - that changes sometimes to "you get out of it what you put in to it"
    You reap what you sew.

Apparently I only preach about the same thing just in different ways. go figure.

I'm thinking I'll be using this one for myself now. I like it.

"Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow, because you may not have to do it after all."

• Maura63
    15 years ago

As a teen (similar to Ashli's motto) I had a plaque that said:

"Yesterday is already a dream and tomorrow is only a vision. But today, well-lived, makes every yesterday a dream of happiness, and every tomorrow a vision of hope."

I think I put that in my yearbook too.

Another read: "Never stop questioning." ~ Einstein

These days it's:

"It's not having what you want, but wanting what you have, that counts."

• socks
    15 years ago

I always told my kids, "If you make your bed with wrinkles, you will sleep on wrinkles."

• kathi_mdgd
    15 years ago

Mine are>>>>>>>>>>>>>> This too shall pass and Don't sweat the small stuff and it's all small stuff!! Also you get out of life what you put into it,much like a bank account...............you put nothing in,you get nothing out.

I actually use a lot of them,all the time!
    Kathi

• des_arc_ya_ya
    15 years ago

I have several that come out of my mouth occasionally: One from my grandma, "The first hundred years are the worst.". one of my own favorites is, "There ain't no Ward and June anymore" and "Will this matter a year from now?"

• FlamingO in AR
    15 years ago

Never go to be angry, stay awake and plot your revenge.

OK, that's not really my motto, most of the time. Usually it's - Cheer up, you'll soon be dead.

• always_learning
    15 years ago

ooohhh---I am reading so many that I say-----kinda forgot about them when I first posted above!!
    I guess I have many mottos--thanks for reminding me!!

• mtnwomanbc
    15 years ago

A favorite from my childhood, which I transposed into my own version: "punch with the rolls" -- I had visions of rolls flying at me and I'd just punch them out of the way -- not quite what "roll with the punches" means.

Live and let live is always good.

At work sometimes, I invoke (mostly to myself) "I'm not paid enough to deal with this s*it!"

• azzalea
    15 years ago

Always liked Mom's, "Everyone to their own taste, said the old lady as she kissed the cow".

And one I employ in everyday life (my own)--Dinner should take no longer to prepare than it does to eat.

• yvonnekate
    15 years ago

This too shall pass........

AND

Less is More...........

• lilliepad
    15 years ago

"Treat everyone as you would like to be treated."
    To my DH who worries about EVERYTHING! "Don't stress/worry about things you can't change."
    To my kids and grand kids,"Sleep with the dogs and you will get fleas","Things will get better,eventually!" "Too bad,so sad!" "Life is what you make it." "You can get glad in the same pants you got mad in."
    "Dance in the daisies!" I use to have a gif that I added to all my posts and e-mails with a little old lady dancing on a bed of Daisies.I lost it when my computer went down and haven't found another one.
    "Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow, because you may not have to do it after all." LOL I like that one!

• IndianaKat
    15 years ago

"What does not kill me, makes me stronger."

Friedrich Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols, 1888
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

• Toni S
    15 years ago

Not really a motto but we like...
    God grant me serenity...
    to accept the things I cannot change...Courage to change the things I can...and Wisdom to know the difference.

I beleive Karma has a way of making things right...in time.

• momcat2000
    15 years ago

In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant....I recommend pleasant.

• czech_chick
    15 years ago

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.

• carol_in_california
    15 years ago

My favorite is the Golden Rule but I have a couple of others I use, also.
    "Maybe tomorrow.......?"
    Cheer up, things could get worse.
    I cheered up and sure enough, things got worse.
    I have the choice to be upbeat and happy or depressed and angry.....remember it!

• lindyluwho
    15 years ago

Housework when done properly can kill you.

My friend always says "I think - therefore I'm single."

Linda

• foggyj
    15 years ago

I thought of another one I use alot: "Tomorrow is another day."
    (compliments of Scarlet o'Hara!)

• marilyn_c
    15 years ago

Live and let live.

He who is not actively kind, is cruel. (John Ruskin)

And this one...which I made up...
    Like a possum, I am a misunderstood scavenger. :))

• joann23456
    15 years ago

The perfect is the enemy of the good. Voltaire

• ladonna
    15 years ago

My ex's grandmother, always said this...and to me its so true.
    If you can't come see me while im alive, don't bother coming to see me when i die.
    At first I thought it was pretty harsh what she said, and then I got to thinking about it, and its really not harsh at all.

• Tally
    15 years ago

I'm irritated by people on another board who are trying to beat some sense into someone who clearly doesn't get it, or doesn't want to. She's he!! bent on doing something dumb and no amount of reasoning is going to get her to see it.

So my motto for today is:

Ignorance is curable, but nothing fixes stupid.

• ronf_gw
    15 years ago

Many come to mind along with many excellent ones above.
    To go along with tally's:
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that even genius has it's limits. --Albert Einstein.

From my Mom: If you don't like my gate don't swing on it.

And finally: Drink upstream from the herd.

Ron

• Tally
    15 years ago

OMG Ron, that's a keeper for sure :)

• sjarz
    15 years ago

My favorite is:
    God wouldn't bring you to it if He couldn't pull you through it!
    Suzan J

• nan_nc
    15 years ago

"Thou shall not should on thyself." Either do it or don't, and quit agonizing.

• always_learning
    15 years ago

Many good ones here---thought of another one as I keep trying to encourage my children as they are going forth into adulthood........

Unless you are the lead dog, the view doesn't change!

(I tell then this as they are groaning about the jobs they have now----hope it encourages then to complete their education and find what they love to do!-course, I know that is no guarantee either--but I want them to have that piece of paper to fall back on throughout life should they ever need to!)

• adoptedbyhounds
    15 years ago

This isn't original with me, but it's one of my favorites. When students stress over their mistakes, I like to remind them that that's why pencils have erasers.

• linda_in_iowa
    15 years ago

No one ever said life was fair.

• sharon_fl
    15 years ago

Ever since high school-this was our class motto & I have continually lived my life with this motto:
    "The harder the conflict-the more glorious the triumph."

• joyfulguy
    15 years ago

Ron,

Dad (a rather independent old farmer) used to say, "If you don't like my gate ...."

He was fair-minded, too, and would listen to reason.

There are several others as quoted above that I've heard frequently and thought useful/quoted at times, but my main one is a variation (upgrade?) of one that several have used,

"Live and HELP live", which is much like, "Do unto others as you would be done by".

As for quoting "Peace" a great deal ... some of us feel that peace is like a fruit, that doesn't appear out of thin air. Without the root of justice, the trunk of fairness, with branches of compassion and leaves of love ...

... we won't get a peach called ... "peace".

Even if we pray a lot for it.

Perhaps akin to praying to God for a car ...

... but neglecting to go to work to raise the money to help pay for it.

It seems to me that we shouldn't use prayer as a short-cut, or as an alternative to either laziness or shoddy thinking.

Seems to me that God gave most of us a good brain ... and a good arm ... and expects us to make good use of both of those gifts/benefits ...with regard to ourselves.

And others around us, which some of us say that we should look upon as fellow citizens of the world ... and it seems to me that it makes more sense for us work together with others, to co-operate, rather than fight them, to follow the rule of every (man) person for him/herself.

And the devil take the hindmost?

The guy who was the reason for the writing of the New Testament doesn't talk to me in that kind of language.

Good wishes to everyone for good fruit during this fine new week.

ole joyful

• caroline94535
    15 years ago

I have several. First and foremost...

"This is the day the Lord has made, (I) will rejoice and be glad in it." (Ps. 118:24 NKJV)

And...

"Life is not the amount of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away."

âÂÂIf there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where ever they went.â - Will Rogers

âÂÂEvery now and then, I wish it were then instead of now.â - Thomas Michael

From my high school year book...

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away. - Henry David Thoreau

I'm still listening to that different drummer. He's led me all over the world.

When I'm missing my aunt, or some of my dearest friends, I think of this...

Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
    And you, you are a thousand miles away,
    There are always two cups on my table. - Tang Dynasty

• marcy345
    15 years ago

Worry doesn't help or change anything. Also, don't cross your bridges until you get to them.

• Toni S
    15 years ago

From one of our horse magazines there stands a cowboy, maybe a bullrider...
    It says...Pain is guaranteed, suffering is optional.

I like to remind myself once in a while. Keeps the pitty parties to a minimum.

• judy_jay
    15 years ago

I always liked "Judge not, lest ye be judged". I feel it applies to me many times.

• ronf_gw
    15 years ago

From one of the best movies made in the last 10 years; Secondhand Lions--the McCain brothers say "If you need something, get it yourself. Or better yet, learn to make do without."

Ron

• grammahony
    15 years ago

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. (my gramma) She also said "Don't count your chickens before they hatch."
    Leslie

• monica_pa Grieves
    15 years ago

Love really is lovelier the second time around.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH