SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teresa_nc7

Scrap Quilt Class - Block #5

teresa_nc7
16 years ago

Our next scrap block is called Shooting Star. It's a very easy block and goes together quickly, but can make a very colorful and delightful scrap quilt.

We will make one 12-inch (finished) block in this lesson. You will need:

9 squares @ 4 1/2" each background fabric (BG)

18 squares @ 2 1/2" each various colored fabrics for the star points (SP)

To begin, take 1 4 1/2" BG square and 2 2 1/2" SP squares.

{{!gwi}}

Mark each small SP block on the wrong side with a diagonal line from left to right.

{{!gwi}}

Align the SP small square with the top right corner of the BG large square. Sew on the line you marked, then trim 1/4" from the seam.

{{!gwi}}

Press the trimmed corner out and repeat with another small SP square in the opposite corner.

{{!gwi}}

Press out the second corner.

{{!gwi}}

Make eight more units like the one you just made. Chain piecing will help the work go fast!

{{!gwi}}

Arrange your 9 units so you have a pleasing color contrast of the Star Points:

{{!gwi}}

Sew the units together by rows, press alternating the rows, to make one Shooting Star block that measures 12 1/2" unfinished.

{{!gwi}}

You can turn the block around to slant the star in the other direction if desired.

A quilt made of 4 blocks across and 4 blocks down will measure 48" x 48" before you add any borders - a nice size for a baby quilt.

Here again is a baby quilt I made - challenging myself to finish it in one weekend - which I did!

{{!gwi}}

I love this Smokey Mountain Star quilt at Quiltville.com!

You see that you can use different backgrounds to make a quilt that sings. You could even use various neutral beiges for scrappy backgrounds or many WOW fabrics for a scrappy white background.

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations