SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teresa_nc7

Scrap Quilt Class - Block #2

teresa_nc7
16 years ago

Next we will make the wonderfully innovative block from our own Fran - Fran's Five Across and Five Down!

This block is easy and can be fast if you do a lot of cutting before you begin. I am using 2 1/2" squares and strips cut 2 1/2" wide here in my lesson. This results in a block size that is approximately 10 1/2" unfinished.

If you want a bigger block, you can cut 3" squares and cut your strips 3" wide. It's up to you.

You will need:

10 2 1/2" squares, all different fabrics

3 strips, 2 1/2" x 10 1/2" - all the same

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Make one patched strip by sewing 5 squares together, end to

end. Press seams all in one direction.

{{!gwi}}

Then make a second patched strip with the other 5 squares in the same manner as the first. Press.

{{!gwi}}

Sew one 2 1/2" x 10 1/2" rectangle to one patched strip. Repeat with one more patched strip and one plain. Sew the four strips together so that you have alternating plain, patched, plain, patched. Finally sew the last plain strip to the last patched strip.

{{!gwi}}

Square up your block if needed by trimming the strips just a little. And your block is done.

Here is my quilt top made with this block. Again, we flip-flop the blocks when they are sewn together.

IMO, the printed plaid I used in the block for this class is too busy. I just wanted to see how it would look.....so now I know. This quilt will look better with read-as-solid, tiny check, small dot, or even a solid. So, think about your fabric choice before you commit to cutting out lots of strips.

Now.......

I'll show you mine if you show me yours?

{{!gwi}}

Comments (11)