SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
menkster

Why can't I drill into the exterior wall from outside?

menk
9 years ago

My house was built nearly 100 years ago, but a previous owner added a room (by extending the house), not sure when.

Shorter version: I'm trying to drill into the outer wall of this room at the height of the attic, but when I drill, instead of sawdust, it's some gray crumbly dust. Then about 3/4" in, the drill bit is unable to advance further. I look into the hole and it looks like the drill bit is trying to go into... metal? Kind of shiny and dented in by the bit. Do I just need to push harder? :oP

Longer background info:
The added-on room gets really warm during summer and cold in winter (more so than the rest of the home). This may have to do with the fact that the flat roof above it is probably less than a foot above the interior ceiling and has no insulation. There's just about no attic space, and the "attic" that does exist is divided into approximately 20 compartments... divided by the horizontal 2x10(?) beams. Most of these compartments don't appear to have ventilation at all, some have ventilation on the outside of the house (and half connect with the rest of the house's attic). My main goal is to be able to keep this room cooler in summer and warmer in winter like the rest of the house, which has insulation in the attic. I want to cut ventilation holes in the exterior of the house, then blow in insulation through these ventilation holes. The plan was to cut these holes with a 5" hole saw, but the hole saw is not getting through the exterior of the house. I removed the hole saw and used just the arbor and the arbor dead-ends at what looks like metal, but I can't be sure it is.

Comments (11)