SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ideasathome

Why can't I decide on a vent hood style?

A T@Home
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello. Long time lurker here. We have been planning our kitchen remodel for quite awhile, and we really need to start making some decisions, but I am having some analysis paralysis when it comes to selecting a vent hood style for our kitchen.

We started off with my husband assuming we would do a basic stainless steel chimney hood, but I wanted a beautiful wood hood with insert. That took us down looking at various semi-custom cabinet lines to find one that carried the hood I liked. For various other reasons, we are moving forward with KraftMaid cabinets in a white shaker door (shocking, I know). They have one wood hood I like that will work in our kitchen, but I am starting to wonder if it is too plain. Will it look like just a big ol' box?

So, I've started to look at other options...We are now also considering a professional style under cabinet hood, and I am also starting to wondering if my husband was right and we should just do a chimney style hood. I am liking it's simplicity more and more.

I could go 5 different ways and love them, and, at the same time, also wish I had done something else. I am clearly not great at making decisions and this decision just seems so permanent. It will be the focal point of our kitchen. And something we have to live with for a long time.

We want to avoid going too trendy. My husband has vetoed painted or reclaimed shiplap hoods. Sorry, Chip and Joanna...I still love you. We have also decided against wood cove or chimney style hoods. We find them a little too "squatty" with 8ft ceilings.

We will have a 36" rangetop. L-shaped kitchen with white perimeter cabinets, and a stained island.

I know this is a matter entirely based on personal preference (we are ultimately going to have to make this decision and soon), but I am curious to hear peoples' thoughts on these 3 different hood styles. Is there anything about them we should be warned about? Anything about them you have loved? Too trendy?

Stainless steel chimney hood. Tile to the ceiling with about 5 inches on either side:

Kraftmaid wood hood with insert (we'd buy our own insert, possibly Best by Broan:

Under cabinet professional-style hood:

Likely layout of the room:

Overview of kitchen, eating area, butler's pantry, dining room (dining room is through the door by the double ovens above the butler's pantry; Family room is through the large opening below the island):

Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

Comments (38)