SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cheshirelake

Pre-hung Door Giving Me a Headache

cheshirelake
17 years ago

My wife and I are trying to install a bunch of pre-hung doors. We've now tried two of them, and we got the same result on both. The floor is level, and I have shimmed and nailed the hinge sides at all three hinges, ensuring they are plum and level. A square tells me the three sides are perpendicular to each other. Haven't shimmed the latch sides yet, but I do have some shims above the top jambs, to keep them from swaying in the rough opening. It all looks just fine, until we close the door.

Once we do, I notice that the slab tilts a little bit, probably because I haven't set the nails on the hinge side (I suspect it's because I haven't set the nails on the hinge side, so it does move a little bit). That doesn't concern me so much, because when I put a few shims under the slab, it becomes level and the gap between the slab and the jamb is consistent all around, although it's a little tight below the bottom hinge.

What worries me is that the latch side of the slab isn't flush with the jamb and the wall. It's flush at the bottom when I close the door, but halfway up it starts bending out, and the top corner of the latch side sticks out a good half-inch or so. This has happened on both doors, and I can't figure out how to fix it. If I try to force the slab flush, the bottom of the latch side jamb pops out, and vice-versa. The slab itself is not warped. The only things I can think of are that maybe the top hinge is bent, or that I need to rotate the top of the hinge side jamb. Not even sure that makes any sense, I'm at my wits' end about it. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (9)