SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

need feedback on roofing issue--should I raise this issue?

mahatmacat1
15 years ago

We recently had our roof redone with Malarkey Legacy (not inexpensive) shingles...one aspect of the job included roofing *over* where a skylight had been, and opening a hole for the skylight somewhere else.

The problem I noticed, right off on the day it happened, was that where the guys had put down the plywood and roofed over the hole, they must not have made the plywood the same height as the rest of the roof substrate, because there's a noticeable dip there. It looks wavy and bad.

When I told the roof contractor, he said "well, that part has been roofed over already" as in I'm not doing anything. He hasn't seen it yet, and will be coming out in a couple of weeks to put in the replacement skylights (on order). I haven't paid a cent yet--that's his policy--not to pay until you're happy.

My question: do I have the right to ask this to be done to be uniform with the rest of the roof, or should I just let it go because "I'm the only person who will see it"? It does really bug me; I would never be satisfied with that quality work on my own house, and I'm "just" a DIYer.

Here's a link to some pics in my flickr account; please let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

Here is a link that might be useful: flickr roof pics

Comments (10)