SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hey_j

Removing 'Stomp-textured' Ceiling!

Janice
18 years ago

I'm in the process of removing the texture of a stomped ceiling--you know, the ones done with the "car-wash" type brushes!

So far, I am using the tool (with bag) that is mostly used with removing the pop-corn type ceilings. I spray the ceilings (unpainted) with warm water, and wait a very few mins. and then scrape. It works pretty well, but there still is some slight texture left! I am then going over the rough areas with joint compound. I'm using the compound, straight from the bucket!

I have a portion of ceiling that is painted (latex) and I am finding it much more challenging.

Are there any suggestions of a better way of doing this?

Janice

Comments (70)

• wbgroovy
    18 years ago

Wow, I have that on the ceiling, and I call it my starry, starry night ceiling. I must be weird; I love it.

• Janice
    Original Author
    18 years ago

wbgroovy--I felt as you do, for many years. It hasn't been until the last year, I think, that I have fallen "out of love" of it! We even "paid" someone to do it at the time--I think that was 26 years ago! What I have discovered, through the years, is that in a kitchen--it can get disgusting! The airborne grease and dust from the
    overhead fan is a constant battle--that doesn't end well, for me!

Here is what is going on with our ceilings right now! We have taken out walls and moved them, having to piece in where the walls were! I am removing the "stomp" and patching the areas mentioned, finishing off with a "skim-coat" of lightweight joint compound, slightly watered down to a "frosting" consistency. In this photo, I have already removed most of the "stomp" to a degree I can work with. I have already done the new walls, as you can see, but this ceiling will take a bit longer:

I have the original look, with texture in a previous post--above!

I will show you pictures, as updates, as I go along!

Till tomorrow---my arms are killing

Janice

• Related Discussions

Vaulted ceiling--remove popcorn, texture/paint vs cover in wood planks

Q

Comments (8)
    No I really don't want to texture the ceiling, but it is my understanding that getting that nice smooth finish on a ceiling adds a lot to the cost if you just remove the popcorn and have to deal with a not so great surface that is left after popcorn removal. So, you are suggesting that we instead just install a new 1/4" layer of sheetrock on top of what is already there. Correct? Do you know approximately what the price differential is to take the cover up approach vs the just start all over with a new topcoat of something?
    ...See More

Removing textured/popcorn ceiling

Q

Comments (6)
    Looks like sand was added to paint or some type of ready made brush on sand texture product was applied. Probably no concern about asbestos but have it checked for your peace of mind. I would investigate sanding the ceiling vs overlaying with more sheetrock. Power drywall pole sanders that hook up to a vacuum are quite inexpensive. South of $200 inexpensive. You can rent a pro-level sander, too. But I would just buy an inexpensive one outright. Sell it when you're finished and recover a good chunk of what you paid for it.
    ...See More

new house…stomp ceiling or not

Q

Comments (28)
    @jserv13 - I get where you are coming from. I am currently renovating my "forever" home. I am not overly concerned with resale as I intend to leave this home in a box. For me, reality is that I will most likely be dead in less then 25 years. I don't need floors that will last 100 years, I need flooring that will look good for 20 years. I picked LVT. It was less expensive and easy on my joints. My current home has smooth ceilings, but my last home had popcorn ceilings. When we removed the popcorn the seams were horrible so the contractor gave us choices. He could skim coat and sand the entire ceiling or he could spray a light orange peel texture on the ceiling. We opted for the light orange peel texture. Hid the imperfections, didn't cost much and was not all that noticeable when painted with flat paint. Here are a couple of listing photos I might ask the contractor if orange peel is an option. It will hide the imperfections, but will be less obvious than the stomp.
    ...See More

Need help with removing sand paper textured paint

Q

Comments (10)
    I have the same problem in the family room. What I decided to do was use a light grit sanding paper & attach the sander exhaust to my shop vac and ran it over the walls once. Then I bought a bag of drywall mud, the kind that sets in 20 minutes. I made it the texture of thin pancake batter and "painted" it on the walls with a wide metal trowel and it filled in all of the tiny crevices caused by the sand and left a smooth finish. Now it's not as smooth as a normal wall, but with satin paint texture, it looks really good and it only cost $20 for the drywall mud & $10 for the package of sanding disks for my sander.
    ...See More
  • beenie130
    18 years ago

wbgroovy, glad you are fond of the stomp texture! My daughter really likes it too. Looks like flowers to her. I have had people come in an compliment my ceilings. They just aren't right for me and the look I want. I agree with Janice that they aren't great in kitchens. As I was scraping off the stomp, there were certain areas that were dirtier than others, and also some dust hanging from some of the peaks.

• newhomeownerco
    18 years ago

Beenie130: Thanks for the heads up but I think it is joint compound. I'm only basing this on the fact that when we removed some really hideous wallpaper from two walls in the dining room they came out with basically no texture on them. But then again, it didn't seem to come out as smoothly when the wallpaper came down in the bathroom...so maybe it's a mixture around the house? I guess I'll find out if I get up the nerve to try it. I'll work on getting some pictures today when I'm at home meeting the counter people...

• beenie130
    18 years ago

newhomeownerco, that is good that it is joint compound. That is pretty easy to remove.

Janice,
    I went to Home Depot and bought my 50 gallon container of joint compound!

• Sandys_Garden
    18 years ago

I don't have the stomped ceiling but do have popcorn. I've removed it in a couple of rooms and now doing the kitchen. I used the scraper thing from Lowes with the bag and warm water in a very small garden sprayer. The only thing I'm doing different than most of you is this. Once I've scraped the popcorn off there is still some "mud" left in places. I've been using a big carwash type sponge wet but slightly squeezed out and rubbing in circular motions to smooth everything out (don't rub so hard as to mess up the drywall paper). The existing mud will soften enough that you can work out any flaws. Only in a few places have I had to re-mud and the ceiling is very smooth. Follow up with the Zinzer primer and paint. Hardly any dust and so much easier to work with than skimming the entire ceiling. A friend of our who has done tons of remodeling in older homes told me that from his experience doing it with the sponge is the only way to go. I've found it to be pretty easy and can't imagine having to do all the skimming and sanding involved doing it the other way.

• Sandys_Garden
    18 years ago

ohh and when you get to area that the "bag tool" can't get to, just use a dustpan under a scraper - cuts down on the mess alot!

• Janice
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh Sandy--thank you, thank you! I have become very sensitive to drywall dust, due to many projects and, now, even less than 3 mins. of light sanding will effect my lungs!

I was laying in bed, dreading the prospect of having to sand these ceilings and praying that there may be another way. I was even thinking to hire someone just to do that part!

I came in to check mail and saw your post from GW, first thing! All I can say, is thank God--and thank you for responding to this thread!

I hope I am allowed to say this--and if I'm not, I hope you get to read it, before it is removed! I even have a car wash sponge already!! I can't wait to try it! Whoo, hoo--God is good!

Janice

• beenie130
    18 years ago

Thanks so much Sandys Garden! You have saved me a big mess with the sanding. I might have to do some plastering because I scraped most of the mud off in many areas. Our texture was very heavy. But now I know when I plaster that any imperfections can be dealt with easily and with no big mess! I appreciate the help.

• beenie130
    18 years ago

One other question... what is a carwash sponge?

• Sandys_Garden
    18 years ago

Janice, I so hope you and others find this method successful. Funny thing is I read so many posts and don't usually feel that I can offer much but for whatever reason (maybe from above) when I read this one, I just HAD to tell about my experience. Just be careful when you are doing the scraping not to scrape so much that you dig into any of the drywall paper. I told a guy I work with who has had a double lung transplant how I did mine and he got so excited about being able to do it himself he went right home and started it. The very next day, he came in and said he'd scraped it ALL and the sponge didn't work because of all the gouges he'd made scraping the stuff off! All I could think was he just got in too big of a hurry. I do it pretty slowly and haven't had one single problem. There may be a few places you'll have to re-mud because as you know they don't put the best finish on the sheetrock if they are blowing it with the popcorn. For those places, yes, I do have to do some sanding but it is minimal really. MUCH less than sanding the entire ceiling.

Beanie, it's just a big sponge - nothing special. Dont' try using just a kitchen sponge, it's just too hard to work with and the bigger ones will hold a little more water (but don't make it sopping wet)

Good luck to all of you....now back to my scraping.

• Janice
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you so much, Sandy!!! I'm so glad you responded to the "nudge" for my sake! I'm sure it will work once I get the "technique" down!

So--you're actively scraping as well, huh? I'm betting the stomped stuff is harder than the popcorn, and I bet with the popcorn removed easier, you have less problems with uneveness left behind! But--I'm just guessing, here!

Janice

• beenie130
    18 years ago

Sandy, thanks for your help. The sponge was good for removing some of the smaller bumps. I think I have lots of areas where I scraped down to the paper or so close to it that when using the sponge in some areas, it is wiping away the very last bit of joint compound. So I did need to apply more mud. It is very slow and probably will need to sand afterall. Not sure if I can do it all myself. I'm getting weary. Might need to get a quote for a skimcoat. the room is large (28' x 12'). Maybe tomorrow I will do the small bathroom ceiling and that will give me the encouragement to keep tackling the kitchen.

• Sandys_Garden
    18 years ago

Janice, yes I am scraping too! fun, huh? I don't know how the stomped ceiling would be - all I have done is the popcorn and yes, it might be easier. I have to do a little and stop though because my neck starts hurting so it's been slow for me.

Beenie, I emailed Janice some more info but should have posted it here as well. She asked if I rubbed the ceiling pretty hard - here's my response."I do rub pretty hard but not for too long. Don't know how to explain it really. If you rub too long in one spot, the paper will start looking like it's beading up kind of. So you've got to rub hard enough to smooth it off but not for so long that you rough up the drywall paper. You kind of have to get a feel for it. Keep trying it..you'll get the "feel".

"oooh Janice, I just noticed you said "with a barely damp" sponge. It's gotta be pretty wet. If it's not wet enough it'll start to rub the drywall paper. I wet it (soaking) then squeeze about 1/2 the water out. In other words, it doesn't drip toting the sponge but when I squeeze it , it would puddle."

Don't scrape ALL the mud off completely and particularly not where there are seams. You want to see enough that you can smooth it around with the sponge.

Hope that helps! Mine is going pretty good.

• Janice
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey Sandy! It works! I just did an area 18"x24" and it works well--and you're right there needs to be more water than just damp!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I hope yours continues to go well!

Janice{{!gwi}}

• Sandys_Garden
    18 years ago

Janice, I am so glad to hear that. I've been thinking about you thruout the day as I worked on mine and so much hoping that you'd get the "feel" for it. It is slow (for me anyway) because I take so many breaks. It just makes my neck so stiff I have to get away from it.

Mine is coming along pretty well - almost finished with the kitchen which is about 12 1/2 x 21. Only have a few places that I have to go back and do but need DH to take down the plate for the light fixtures and such. One hole to patch where somebody (DH) stepped thru the ceiling while flooring the attic. Funny it never really showed when the popcorn was there. I have an area left about 4 x 6 that's a hallway open to the kitchen. Hopefully, I'll finish that part tomorrow along with the couple of places I have to go back and re-mud and sand where the original tape was loose. I pulled the old tape off and replaced it with that mesh self adhesive - soooo much better than the old stuff. I should be ready for primer by this time tomorrow (I hope)!

• Janice
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Way to go, Sandy! I understand the frequent breaks as well. It is murder on the neck and shoulders! With the "stomp" texture you really have to scrape pretty hard, with arm outstretched so my right arm should be getting stronger and more muscular. It will make the left one look pretty wimpy! LOL

I am surprised at how much of a workout it is to remud the ceiling. I am loading up the "blade" and then applying it in long hard strokes, pressing up very hard to make sure it is a level sweep. Of course I have to go back over the areas to make sure it is even. I get pretty worn out by the end of the day.

It seems to me, that this part, with the help of the sponge will be less labor intensive--I'm hoping, based on the little "trial" I did today!

So glad to hear it's going well for you, Sandy!

Now, we need an update from Beenie! How is it going with you, dear!

Janice

• beenie130
    18 years ago

Hi! I'm back, and I have renewed hope that I can do this myself. My ceilings are looking smoother. I went over them with more mud in some of the uneven areas. I think I have them to the point where a light sanding might be all that is needed. I did the bathroom today (haven't sanded yet) and touched up the kitchen side. It's looking pretty good! For some reason the sponge isn't really helping too much for me. I think it is because my skim coating skills leave something to be desired! there is a light at the end of this tunnel and I am getting excited!!! I just can't wait to paint! Maybe by the end of the week.

BTW, my arms are getting quite muscular - I'm starting to look a little pumped up. Not sure if that is a good thing! :)

• Janice
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Way to go Beenie!! How exciting! The sponge thing is working for me! I think the trick is in getting it wet enough
    and then just sort of circling with it till it gets almost, not quite, foamy! The mud that is! Then I sort of swipe it across
    to make sure there are no transitional ridges! I then go back and touch up any indentations that remain and ususally
    that is so thin a layer, you hardly notice when it is dried!

Try it again--it sure beats the sanding mess!

Keep us posted!

Janice

• newhomeownerco
    18 years ago

I'm finally back, with pictures! This is what my texture looks like for the most part. Fairly subdued...at least it could be worse.

{{!gwi}}

In this picture, the long wall on the left is smooth, but the wall with the door is textured. As is the wall on the right in the forefront (that's one dining room wall). But the other two dining room walls (that you can't see) are not textured really after having the wallpaper that was on them removed. So nice smooth wall is across from textured wall and runs into almost smooth (needs skim coat) wall which runs into almost smooth wall which runs into textured wall.

{{!gwi}}

The problem is, I don't know where to stop if I start this. As you can see from the next two pictures. If I do the last dining room wall and the wall with the basement door, it's only just starting. The living room has three of four walls with texture now (the fourth is new so it is smooth) and those run into the entry way/stairway (across from the nice long smooth wall) which opens up to upstairs where the texture just keeps going (and walls are so high up, not sure I could reach even if I wanted to without some elaborate scaffolding). So I guess the question is...what would you ladies do? Suck it up and texture the three nice smooth walls to match the rest or smooth out the textured walls...stopping where?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Looking forward to the advice/comments! I'm so jealous of you all with this stuff only on the ceilings! That I could live with...the walls are pushing it but I may have to suck it up! Good luck to you all!

• Janice
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi 'New-oner" (trying to make it short! LOL)! Great pictures and I agree the texture isn't bad--coulda been alot worse! I've looked at your pictures and really thought about what you've said, and I think, if it were me (and I am pretty industrious) I'd leave the walls textured where they are and finish off the new walls smooth. You can always say it was what you planned anyhow. Lots of folks will accent a wall with wallpaper, while leaving the others just painted, etc. I'm not sure how the one textured wall in the dining room relates to the layout, with table and chairs, china hutch etc., But it could be if you had a china hutch, putting it on the textured walls and then using lighting and a sideboard on the other side of the room with something that will draw the eye to it, would help hide and deflect the attention to the smoother walls!.

I fear if you start removing it, you will not find it within you to stop, and up the stairs and so on, will be a tremendous task! I don't envy you doing all of that!

Try it with the walls as they are for awhile, and if you just can't stand it then maybe---but, I bet you can get use to it quickly and I also bet, no one would pick up on the difference as anything other than what was in the "plan"!

Let us know what you decide!

What about the other gals, or guys perusing this thread, what do you think?

Janice

• Janice
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have been "on the project" today and laying down another layer of mud on the areas where the old walls were patched, and I think I may have found something that works well, without sanding--not unlike using the sponge

I have a bottle of water that I squirt on my blade and mud, to keep it thinned a bit and pliable, and I have found that if I will squirt the water on the areas that are set up, with the mud, that if I also squirt the knife blade and rake over the ridges and slight bumpiness, it smooths out really well! It could even be painted without smoothing any further, but I will go over it with the sponge anyhow!

Someone else try this and see if it works for you, as well!

Janice

• Sandys_Garden
    18 years ago

Janice and Beenie, I haven't been skimcoating at all - only where there is a ridge or nail hole that can't be smoothed. Why are you skimming the entire ceiling?

• Janice
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey Sandy--I am because whereas you can scrape most of the stomp off, there still remains some slight indentations from the design. I don't want to scrape it all the way down to the wallboard, for fear of damaging it!

Also, with my situation, there is some variance between the levels of the old and new exposed ceilings. I fill it in, in the center first, then taper off either side of the fill to make the transition more smooth. Eventually, it gets to where you can't tell, with the eye, where the repaired joint was! See my second photo in previous posting above-to see what I'm dealing with! I'll post new pictures maybe tonight, later or tomorrow, of the progress I'm making!

So far, this is working great!

• Sandys_Garden
    18 years ago

Janice, ok I see now. I am scraping all the way to the drywall..leaving mud only on the nail holes and seams. Just have to be careful doing it like that. Didn't get mine finished today...had to stay away from it for a while...My neck and shoulders are aching badddddddddd!

• beenie130
    18 years ago

Just checking in. Didn't get to any work today but will start again tomorrow hopefully. My DH is not so thrilled with the mess I am making! I agree with Janice that newhomeownerco should leave the walls as is. The texture really looks pretty subtle, especially compared to what I have. And it looks painted which could be more trouble than it's worth.

Goodnight! Will check in tomorrow. I love having a Stomp support group!

• beenie130
    18 years ago

Well, I did it! My bathroom ceiling looks great!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! Now I know I can do it throughout my house. Will need to pace myself though. I did have to sand the bathroom ceiling to get it smooth. With the mask and goggles it wasn't too bad. Messy, but because it was a bathroom, pretty easy to contain.

Janice, I will try your method with the water in the kitchen area. Anything to avoid the sanding mess! Looking forward to priming tomorrow.

Sandys Garden, Can you paint right over the paper? I didn't know you could do that. Sounds a lot easier!

• Sandys_Garden
    18 years ago

Beenie, yes you can! As a matter of fact, I just put primer on mine tonight....well about 1/2 of it anyway. Looks soooooo much better. When the pro's hang the drywall, they don't spread mud everywhere - just on the seams and nail or screw holes. Just make sure you use a gooooooood primer. I use the zinzer 123 latex one and a roller.

• Janice
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I concur with Sandy! If its been taped and finished well over the tape and screw or nail holes you'll do fine and I too recommend the Zinnser! Top notch primer!

I'm so excited for you Beenie! My ceiling is really looking good. Hubby put in can lights today, too! I hope to prime on Friday! Woooo hooooo!

Janice

• beenie130
    18 years ago

Just wanted to check in with you Hey J and see if you have finished your ceilings. I am still working on mine but things are looking good. Our kitchen, dining room, 2 bathrooms, playroom and 1 bedroom are de-stomped and joint compound is up - some patching still to do. All I have left is the upstairs hallway (really long) and the living and dining room. Thanks again for this info and your encouragement.

Marisa

• Janice
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Marisa--It's so nice you thought of me! I was just wondering about you too, the other day! We stopped on the indoor project, long enough to finish up our outdoor portion, while the weather is still nice, since odds are things will be changing soon, in that dept.!

However, the ceiling is looking very nice. I have it all scraped and mostly primed, but have all the edges near the walls to do and part of the kitchen area as well. It's looking really good. And, I have to agree that it does make the ceilings seem significantly higher with the "stomp" removed!

I wonder how "Sandy" and "newhome.." are doing on their projects? Hope we hear from them, as well!

Janice

Pics. would be nice too, don't you think? I will have some more eventually!

• Sandys_Garden
    18 years ago

I got mine finished and it looked great...that is until.....

I made the mistake of painting at night when the lighting wasn't that great. Should have waited and done it during daylight. I've got some streaks where the roller had too much paint on the edge and I couldn't tell. That's going to be a bear to fix. The cabinets are in now but they will be stained and lacquered in place. Cabinet guy said I will definitely need to do some more work on the ceiling. I am so frustrated with all this. I had done my laundry room during the day and it looks great - just got too impatient on the kitchen. I DO believe patience is a virtue now.

• Janice
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh no, Sandy!!! I primed mine at night, too, but stopped when I realized what you realized! Gulp! I still have alot of it to complete priming and then, of course, the final coat!

I have been very sidetracked--finally getting to go out and work in the yard planting the hosta I purchased in the Spring but had not been able to get to till now! We had alot of landscaping structures and digging out of clay and filling in with the better stuff (8 tons of it) and whiskey barrels hunted down and now being filled, as well!

I plan on being back "on task", hopefully, next week. We've also been helping DD and SIL find a home to buy so have been hunting and driving for about 3 weeks!

Keep us posted!!!

Janice

• Sandys_Garden
    18 years ago

Janice, I very well know what you mean by being sidetracked. The weather is gorgeous here (SC) and since the cabinet guys are dragging their heels, there's not much I can do (or should say I WANT to do) inside. I've got to cut back my brugmansias pretty soon as they are like trees and I have about 40 of them so that will be a task in itself. I need to post over on the brugmansia site that I have cuttings.

• beenie130
    18 years ago

So sorry Sandy that the painting did not go as well as you would like. I am dreading that part because I am taking such pains to get everything as smooth as possible. I might even see how much it costs to have someone paint for me. I painted all of our upstairs ceilings and it was not fun.

One tip I wanted to share was that I found a joint compound at home depot that is new. It supposedly is less messy to sand. They guy said that when you sand, it drops to the floor and does not float in the air. I haven't tried the sanding yet, but the name of the product is Sheetrock lightweight all purpose joint compound with dust control. It comes in a container with a blue lid. Just thought I would pass that along! Will let you know if I try to sand.

BTW, I have been using regular joint compound instead of lightweight and it is a bit harder to work with. Glad I switched!!

• Sandys_Garden
    18 years ago

Beenie, I'll have to look for that compound since I will need to get some more for some other work we're doing. The ceiling wasn't so bad since there wasn't that much that needed to have compound applied to it (smoothing it with the sponge helped alot) but we had to do new sheetrock on the walls in the kitchen where the new cabinets were going. I breathed that stuff so much, I ended up with a sinus infection. Next time, I'll wear a mask.

• beenie130
    18 years ago

Not sure anyone is out there anymore, but just wanted to update you. I started to scrape my family room ceiling the other day and scraped down to the previous ceiling which just happened to be smooth plaster!

Sandy's garden, you were right!

So I checked the kitchen area... looks smooth as well except where they added on a three foot bumpout. Very happy on one hand. I was able to scrape my whole family room in a few days time, and now there is no need to use joint compound. The downside is I spent so long re-joint compounding the kitchen, bathroom and playroom ceilings and didn't have to :(

So eventually I will scrape those down because I just couldn't get them smooth enough with the compound - it was driving me crazy! They look pretty good now, just not quite good enough to paint. Scraping down to the plaster will give me that perfectly smooth ceiling.

So moral of the story is... Before doing lots of work, check what is under those ceilings... it may be just what you are looking for all along!

• Janice
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey Beenie--I'm still around, and have even seen you on the redecorating forum too! :O)

I am so sorry to hear the agony you've been through with your ceiling. I have to say, mine has been a pain, but not so much as yours. It is finally done, (the scraping and skim coating)and the kitchen is almost totally complete with new porcelain tile to boot, just finished up today!!! I love it already! I still have to complete the "painting" of the ceiling, which is only partially done---I know, it should have been done before the flooring but we have been stretched in so many different directions throughout this project--it's hard to stay with just one task at a time, it seems, for us!

All in all----I am totally worn out, and so ready to be done but I wish you a very Merry Christmas--and to any others who happen to read this thread--especially "Sandy", I also wish you the Merriest of Christmases yet to come!!!

I know I need the break!!!

Janice

• beenie130
    18 years ago

Hi there Janice, Good to hear from you! Yes, home decorating has been my new hangout, although I lurk here and in kitchens as well. I keep moving from project to project - it will be nice to finish one of them!! That is great that you are done with the skim coating. Did you do the tile yourself? This DIY stuff is addictive! I wouldn't be able to do it without the help of nice people like you on these forums.

Merry Christmas to you as well. I have one more ceiling to go, but am taking a break to enjoy the holidays and come back with a fresh look. I hope your holidays are relaxing and rejuvinating!!!

Marisa

• don_2006
    18 years ago

My wife and I are about to try to remove the textured ceiling in our house that was built 21 years ago. The texture is made of joint compound rolled on to drywall with a paint roller, leaving peaks about 1/4" to 1/2" high. Can this be done with a spray bottle of warm water, sponge and scraper as you describe above? We also thought of just rolling on primer to brighten them up. Our ceiling is about 24' X 30'. What do you think? Look forward to hearing from you. Don & Linda

• beenie130
    18 years ago

Yes, if the ceiling hasn't been painted, you can spray with warm water, wait about 10 minutes, then start scraping. It is messy. What I found in some of my rooms was smooth plaster ceilings under all the joint compound so I scraped down to the plaster. That way I didn't have to re-joint compound in a smooth finish. Putting the joint compound back on in a smooth finish is the most difficult part.

Read all of the posts above, there is good info there.
    Best of luck!

• Janice
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Go for it, Don & Linda! It is a bit messy but well worth the results. I love my smooth ceilings now! They do seem much higher--funny! I think the texture draws your eye upward when being smooth, you just don't notice them!

When you have finished scraping after spraying with the warm/hot water, you may have to fill in any uneven spots with lightweight joint compound and then prime with Zinnser 1-2-3 and then paint--with a flat paint or one specifically for ceilings! I used the "Paint Stick" sold at Sears around here and it was easier!

I wish you well--let us know how it has gone!!!

Janice

• don_2006
    18 years ago

Hi Janice,
    Just saw you're name in my "Favorites" file and remembered I never wrote back to let you know how it went. Well, we had 3 Amish guys show up and worked 8 full hours to do our ceiling. WHAT A JOB! I'm so glad we never pained it. There was a spot we had put Kilz primer on to cover a stain and that spot was rock hard. Can't imagine the job had the whole ceiling been painted. Anyway, it's done and looks great. Sorry I haven't had time to upload any photos but all you'd see is a white ceiling with a pattern in it. Now we will prime and paint it and should look great.
    By the way, did I note that your birthday is tomorrow (3/29)? Happy Birthday !!! Don & Linda Veith
    donveith@yahoo.com

• amandamreid
    17 years ago

I just want to make sure I understand everything... will the texture come off if it has been painted? I heard it would not, and we would have to sand all of the ceilings in our home. The thought of having to do that makes me want to cry. I think it only has one coat of paint, and there are lots of hair-line cracks everywhere (I don't think the mud consistency was right when it was done the first time). I am hoping we will be able to use water and scrape it off. What do you think? Thanks.
    Amanda

• pharaoh
    17 years ago

you can try to spray it with water and see if it softens the texture. if the paint is too thick or uneven , then scraping it will be impractical.

• Sandys_Garden
    17 years ago

WOW! I've been away from the forum for a while (since Oct/Nov) and lo and behold when I logged on I see the old "stomp-textured ceiling" thread still active. LOTS of folks must have the same dislike for it.

Since Oct and the whole kitchen remodel deal, I've kind of taken a break. Just now getting back into the remodeling saga and AGAIN removing the textured ceiling- this time in the family room. I was really worried about doing that room as I had painted it at one time (with latex ceiling paint) but much to my surprise, it actually came off better than the parts I'd done before that were NOT painted. The painted areas came down in sheets once they were saturated with water. I did have to wet then scrape then wet again. So AMANDA, give it a go!

• need_it_easy
    17 years ago

Thanks for everyones insight into removing the textures. I gained so much knowledge from the site... so I thought I would give it a try and contribute along the way. I tried removing the stomp in my kitchen/breakfast are and I regretted the first scrape as I knew there was no turning back. I played with the tool from Lowes and found my ceiling to be tough due to previous painting. I did however find that taking a flat shovel and dragging it along the ceiling knocked a lot of the texture and paint off before spraying. From there I used a combination of fabric softner and water (works on wall paper) to saturate the ceiling. It worked great. Using the tool was a breeze and I scraped 220 sq/ft in about 2.5 hours. One thing that drove me nuts is that the tool kept bending. I spent as much time straghting the tool for the next scrape as I did scraping. I ended up taking a .25 inch nut and bolt along with some large fender washers to stiffen the shaft and firmly rest againgst the palstic handle. This made things fly. Now I am on to the floating... and its not looking fun.

• happy_cactus
    16 years ago

I have a ceiling that looks like mini mountain ranges or wrinkles (I don't know how else to describe it). I've been trying to remove it by steaming it, but all that seems to do is remove the paint. Any suggestions?

• lindy_09
    15 years ago

I just wanted to thank everyone on this forum for the WONDERFUL information. It took 2 web searches and the pics on this blog to find out what someone did to the ceiling in the house I'm buying. First things first, that ceiling has got to go. I have a week before I have to be out of my apartment and that will be plenty of time to de-stomp and prime (at the very least).

Last month a friend of mine bought a house with nearly the same square footage as mine and every ceiling was popcorned (even the closets) and after sending her a DIY link we tested it in her front entry way and half bath. When it took 30 minutes to do that she was convinced. 4 of us finished her whole house in a bit under 5 hours. She hired professionals to re-putty and sand it. It actually took longer to prime it than anything (we had to wipe off the dust first) - it gets everywhere!

After that project and then readying this blog, I know I can do this. Well, as long as it's not plaster that they "decorator" used. :) I'll test it first.

I just wanted to thank you all for your input since you have eased my mind so far. If anyone is still watching this blog, I plan to update my progress. Before and After pics and a brief timeline.

I do have one question...it's been a few years since some of these original posts have been submitted and I'm a new homeowner and semi-new prime painter. Does anyone know if that Zinsser Primer comes in a pink that changes to white when dry? We learned that priming and painting with white at night using artificial lighting is not good. Similar to what Sandy learned. :(

Hope everyone's other home-projects are going well.

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh MY!! It's so wonderful to see this thread has been helpful to some!

I'm very happy with my results, started in '05! Too bad I wound up with a torn 'labrum' in my shoulder as a result
    of doing the scraping long and hard! But, despite advice to have surgery--I stalled and prayed and it took about
    6 months to completely be free of pain! I'm doing fine with it just now, with very minor limitations!

Would I do it again? If I weren't 4 yrs. older, yes I would! :o)

However, we're still 'remodeling' with only a break for it being Sunday and Easter!!!

Happy Easter one and all and I hope your 'projects' will be blessed as ours have been
    despite many ups and downs. When it's all said and done, it's easy to forget the woes of the 'projects'!
    But, it takes us about the 4 years to get up steam for the next phase! :o) We're so tired!! :o/