SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Converting a swinging door to pocket door....logistics?

artemis78
13 years ago

We're considering converting an old two-way swinging door between our kitchen and dining room to a pocket door, and I'm trying to get my head around all of the elements of this so that I know what questions to ask contractors.

I'm wondering about a few things, and hoped someone with some experience in this arena might be able to weigh in.

Here are our details:

- 32" wide door opening (30" x 80" door)

- We already have a door we'd like to use, a standard 1.75" thick glass door, not drilled for any hardware or knobs yet

- Wall is not load-bearing

- We are taking the kitchen apart on one side of the wall so we can do whatever to that wall, but REALLY don't want to touch the dining room side, which has original textured plaster and wainscoting on it

Some questions...

- Is there any specific advantage to framing this as 2 x 4 versus 2 x 6? I've been told that Johnson is the hardware to use, and they seem to make hardware for both sizes. We have no issues with going to 2 x 6 if that's better/easier, and in fact this might be wiser for our situation since we are taking out an old chimney and need to re-vent our furnace into the new wall...but wondered if the door would perform differently depending on which way we went.

- Am I right that a contractor with experience in this area should be able to frame a pocket door successfully without taking both sides of the wall off? (We are completely fine with it effectively being built out into the kitchen and losing those inches, too, but I wanted to be sure I was asking for something realistic when I tell people taking it down to the studs on both sides is a dealbreaker...)

- And finally, I've read lots of things that suggest that any door can be a pocket door, but is this really accurate---that is, if we already have a door in mind, am I asking a lot of contractors to use a heavy glass door v. a new lighter door? (We have an Arts & Crafts house and would really like to keep the aesthetic of that style, and this door is a perfect fit....but if it's going to cause problems, we can reassess.) Do we need to use special hardware for this type of door? (I noticed the Johnson hardware comes in varying weight limits, etc.)

Thanks in advance for any insight/advice. This is our first big project, so this is all a little daunting, and I always feel better if I actually know what I'm talking about with contractors! ;)

Comments (13)