SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jhanaoka

Help! Major house remodel - can't figure out floor plan

jhanaoka
9 years ago

Hi all! I'm hoping some of the experts here can advise me on coming up with a floor plan that is proving to be quite impossible on my own. Here's the back story. My parents recently purchased a small house in northern california. It is approximately 1240 sqft on a 6120 sqft lot. It is in pretty bad shape, so we will be doing a total renovation, and would like to add some square footage as well. Below is a picture of the floor plan, as well as a 3D rendering to give you an idea of what it looks like.

The front of the house is facing the bottom of the picture, and the house faces approximately west. The logical place to add to the house seems to be the front - we can push the front out to where the front of the garage is (or slightly further). Alternatively, we could expand the back, but the backyard is already pretty small, so that would mean losing backyard space.

Now here's the challenge. There are bedrooms all along the back of the house. Currently, the only access to the backyard is through a sliding door in the middle bedroom (or you could go through the garage and out the side door) - kinda wonky I think. Ideally, we would like a dining room, or kitchen, or living area somewhere on the back wall and have a door to access the backyard directly. Here's the other items on our "wish list":
- four bedrooms
- a larger master bath, with a shower and separate japanese style soaking tub
- a laundry room or laundry closet

Here are some of the challenges I'm running it:
- moving the fireplace/chimney would be a big expense, so we're trying to incorporate it's current position into the layout
- if we remove one of the bedrooms off the back wall, where can we add it back to the floor plan so we still have four bedrooms

I should add that none of the interior walls are load-bearing, and we are open to totally rearranging the layout of the rooms. If there is any additional info I should include, or if anything is not clear, please let me know. I would really appreciate any advice on this floor plan.

Thanks!

This post was edited by jkats on Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 18:54

Comments (10)