SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thisishishouse

Is granite pricing as bogus as it seems?

thisishishouse
10 years ago

Is the pricing of granite universally secretive and arbitrary, or am I just having bad luck?

We were advised to visit a local stone importer/wholesaler to pick out the stone we want for our new kitchen. The stoneyard doesn't reveal the prices of slabs, but does "color code" them as some indicator of price neighborhood. As luck would have it, we picked out a few varieties within the lowest groups, indicated with "good production and abundant supply."

We were told the slabs we pick would be sent to a fabricator who would then supply pricing.

Visited the fabricators and they tell us that the stones we picked were "Level 4" granites, meaning one of the top price groups.

Why the mixed messages? I hate the idea of purchasing something which I do not know the true price. Is this just the way the game is played, or should I shop around for other businesses? I'm sorta getting sick of shopping around to 4 or 5 alternative businesses to find one that doesn't seem sleazy with pricing games.

On a related note, is 'Black Galaxy' and 'Blue Pearl' really that high end exotic, or relatively common? Should it be considered "level 4"? (Note we were quoted $7000 for 90 sq)

Comments (49)