SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Can I open/photograph a squirrel nest?

caroline94535
14 years ago

Now that I know Mama Squirrel has kittens, I hope to "see" them and check the nest to ensure it's dry and parasite free, etc. Is it considered safe, for the squirrels, to open the box to inspect and photograph them? I will not actually touch the kittens.

I know wild squirrels have managed for millenniums without my interference, LOL, but since this squirrel is nesting in my back yard, in an unnatural man-made house instead of a drey of sticks out in the woods, I want to ensure I'm not causing more problems than solving. This particular gal is an American Red Squirrel (Tamiasciurus hudsonicus).

I know many species of cavity-nesting birds do not mind nest checks at all and the Bluebirds and Purple Martins actually thrive because of nest checks. Squirrels? I don't know. I know they're cute, destructive, bossy, gluttons, entertaining, and rather violent to one another. They're classified as a rodent. Why do I abhor rodents such as mice and rats and then fall to the enchantments of a squirrel - a rat with cute furry tail?

I raised a tiny, orphaned squirrel many years ago. I kept her several months, in a huge open pen with a nest box on the open back porch. She was free to come and go as she liked, and could come in the house when I was there to watch and control (Ha!) her. I won't say she was tame, but she would eat from my hand, followed me around, sat in my lap or draped herself over my shoulder, and generally acted sweet and happy. She could also fly off the handle, growl, chatter, "attack" for no apparent (to me) reason at all. She bit me more than once. She just "nipped" although it hurt like heck. With their constantly growing incisors they can rip your hands to the bones very easily. She never did that.

She grew up, grew huge, and started staying away longer and longer times. Finally, she was stopping by only about once a month.

Comments (3)