SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
magothyrivergirl

QOD 11/10/09-Pins

magothyrivergirl
14 years ago

Do you pin alot when you piece your tops? What kind of pins do you use?

And, do you have a method or tip you would like to share for Pinning for Perfect results? (Perfect in the eye of the beholder/quilter, which may change from seam to seam:).

I just commented on another thread about how "perfect" my many, many points /triangles/joints were sewn this weekend without using my seam ripper once, attributing my success to pinning. Yes, if the cutting, 1/4 seam allowance/pressing is precise the points/joints pin together nicely, but without all the pinning, the points would not have lined up. In classes I take with an instructor, she doesn't encourage the use of pinning - I think that is why some people have less then stellar results - just my opinion.

I was reading a book by Judy Martin "The Creative Pattern Book" , and she had a section - Pin Pointers -for piecing she recommends very fine (05 mm), short (1.25"), small head. I had just ordered pins (3 pkgs) and as luck would have it - they were the perfect size. I had asked on this forum what pins people liked. So, according to Judy Martin, if your pins are too thick & long, they make too big a hump in the seamline. I was previously using the long flower head pins. My new pins get lots of credit for my "mostly perfect points" sewing this weekend.

So - lets talk Pins today - any kind - piecing, appliqueing-basting, etc.

Comments (14)