SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angfontanini

Help me decorate around the beast - pics included

Angela
12 years ago

We inherited this very nice, very good quality leather sectional from my sister. It is SO not my taste, but my husband and 2 sons (ages 6 & 4) love it. They think it's the greatest piece of furniture ever. And since they have let me run amok decorating the rest of the house, including all the bedrooms, they are forbidding me to get rid of it.

So I am trying to make it look a little more homey and less bachelor-pad. It's in our basement rec room, which is mainly used by the boys for watching movies and playing (their toys are down here as well). My questions are - should I paint the walls a darker color? Maybe BM Creekside Green or Nantucket Gray? Or even darker? Or is that going to put the "cave" in man-cave? Also, what to do with the pine panelling on the lower half of the wall? Paint it, leave it, rip it down? If I get a coffee table or end tables, what kind of wood should I get? Do I get pine to match the existing trim or something else? (The rest of the woodwork and trim in my house is white, but I think the PO was trying to go for a Northwoods feel in the basement). Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. Except for any suggestion to get rid of the sectional. It's here to stay. My husband threatened to bolt it to the floor if I even think about getting rid of it. Sigh.

Comments (29)