SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hazelnutbunny

Breast Cancer quilt

hazelnutbunny
14 years ago

A friend of mine was diagnosed with an aggressive form of breast cancer a few weeks ago. She is undergoing a double mastectomy this week, with possible chemo to follow.

I would like to make her a quilt- but there are 2 things I need help with, if ya'll could?

Her favorite team is the 49'ers (and I do mean FAVORITE, she's got their logo on everything, even undies! LOL!), and I would like to make a quilt using fabric with that on it. I've seen only 1 design, and that was on Ebay, and it was pretty expensive. Hobby Lobby- which is the only fabric store within 50 miles of us- doesn't have any. Does anyone know of some place online that I could order some?

And does anyone have any suggestions for a design I could use that would go well with that fabric? I want to do a lap quilt- no bigger than 60", I think, but I can't find a design that would go well with the fabric I've seen. The design was black background with the helmet in their colors, with their logo.

I guess another problem I'm having is that I would like to have this done by the end of the week, but finding the fabric- and getting it here!- is going to be a challenge, so that may not be possible.

Anyway, I would appreciate any ideas ya'll could throw my way...because my heart is in the right place, and I really want to do this for her...but my head hasn't followed yet, and I'm having a hard time thinking clearly! LOL!

Melissa

Comments (14)

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

I am so sorry about your friend.
    As a newbie quilter, I suggest you make a very large square in the center, and add multiple width borders around it in the 49er's colors. You could echo quilt around the logo of the center, or straight diagonal stitching. This would be fast. Use the pink ribbon on the label, just to let her know you're thinking of her.

I don't know if this fabric is suitable for "quilting"- it is 60" wide. The description states it is suitable, but I think it certainly would work for a large center.

I hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: 49ers's fabric

• jennifer_in_va
    14 years ago

Hancocks online has it... Couldn't get on Joann's website today.

You could take this fabric and use it as a center square with coordinating fabrics for the rest of the blocks.
    A disappearing 9-patch would be fast and easy. You could use this fabric for 4 of the squares and 2 coordinating fabrics for the other squares.

Or a Rail fence with 2 or 3 coordinating fabrics.
    Or one of Beverly/Sharon's shooting star quilts with the 49r fabric as the center with bright star points.
    Or a square in a square.

Really, any pattern with an open center or larger uncut portions would work. Hope this helps you get started.

Hugs to your friend.

Jennifer

Here is a link that might be useful: 49rs fabric

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

Melissa,

Try Fabric.com. This is my "go-to" place when all else fails. The prices are great compared to retail, and the fabrics are generally top quality. I have never been disappointed with them. Here is a link for you. I found your fabric this morning. There is currently 5 yds. in stock @ $6.98/yd. They've also got a red fleece that you could use for the backing with the logo on it, too.

Also, if you have never ordered from them before, when you get to the checkout, use the code "FIRST" for free shipping on your first order (if it's less than $35 -- over $35 and you get free shipping automatically).

Bonus: they will ship within 48 hours. You may want to call them directly (1-888-455-2940; M-F 8:30 am - 5:30 pm, Eastern time zone), they can either walk you through the process or you can request they rush out your order (I don't know if they can do that, but it never hurts to ask) so you get it ASAP.

As for a pattern, let me think on that one. I think it is more important to get you the info on the fabric. I will get back to you about a design you may be able to use.

Hope this helps you out of your dilemma. If you order this a.m., you could have your fabric by Wed. or Thurs. God Bless you for wanting to do this for your friend. You are an angel.

Odessa

Here is a link that might be useful: NFL 49ers Cotton

• cindykg23
    14 years ago

Melissa,

My heart goes out to you & your friend. It's so painful to see our friends hurting & in trouble. I'm sure making a quilt for her will let her know how much you care for her & are thinking of her.
    Rather than putting the 'difficult' fabric IN the quilt, why not use it as the back? You can get started now on the quilt top, pinks/ribbons/etc - when the 49er fabric comes, you'll be ready to quilt! The bonus is your friend then has 2 quilts.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    14 years ago

I have a 14" X 36" piece you can have if it would help.

SharonG/FL

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

Keep in mind that our 49ers colors are red and gold, not black. So if you use the black background for a center panel and maybe an inner border, lots of red and gold will lighten the color up.

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, Everyone! I appreciate all the ideas- I have a starting point now.

Odessa~ Thank you for pointing me towards fabric.com! I haven't heard of that site before, I will definitely check that out.

Sharon~ That is so sweet of you to offer. I will check out that website Odessa mentioned, and I will let you know if I need help getting the fabric. Hopefully, they don't sell out before I get a chance to order some. :O)

Having fleece for the backing is a neat idea. I'm sure the softness would be great for cuddling in after the chemo, especially.
    I've used fleece for baby quilts before, but not a bigger one. Do you think that'd be too thick? Or maybe if I didn't use a batting, it would be OK? I don't want to make it too bulky or hot.

• mary_c_gw
    14 years ago

Personally, I'd go with a flannel for the backing, rather than fleece.

Flannel provides the warm fuzzy cuddly feel. Fleece, while soft, is actually a bit abrasive to sensitive skin, and can raise a person's body temperature. I know that the children's hospital here won't take quilts with fleece backs.

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

I agree using the flannel for the back and cotton thread vs the monofilament thread for quilting because her skin may get sensitive. Also, wash - wash - wash before you give it to her. Do not use any softeners or perfumed detergents or dryer sheets. Chemo patients are often hyper sensitive to smells.
    This is a nice thing you are doing making it out of her favorite team.

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Flannel! Great idea!
    Thanks, ladies! :O)

• petalpatsy
    14 years ago

You're such a lovely friend, but be aware that whatever becomes associated with the nausea of chemo might still cause nausea long after the chemo is finished. That nausea is intense. Years afterwards, I know patients who still get sick when they turn on the hospital exit, or when they see a person in medical scrubs. After chemo, I know several that threw away their shoes they used to put on for sessions-- even if they were now planning to go to the mall, leaning over to tie the same shoe made them nauseous.

I'm saying, I'd recommend not tying the 49-ers up in with anything related to chemo. A neutral theme quilt will show your love and keep her 49-er fan status all safe and pristine to enjoy after she's better.

• grammyp
    14 years ago

The first quilt I made for a co-worker was for her to take to with her for chemo. Later her husband said a bag to carry her things in would be wonderful, so out came the left over pieces to make a tote bag for him to carry her things. All that to say, perhaps you could use the 49-ers fabric to make a tote bag to put her chemo quilt and things in.

beverly

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

First off,i'm sorry your friend had to join this "sisterhood". Having gone thru this last year a quilt with a flannel backing would be very good as it gets chilly while you're in that chemo chair,and you're usually there for a few hours.

As for the pink ribbon on it somewhere,you may want to re-think that as well,some of the gals going thru chemo don't want those reminders.

My friends on the cross stitch board made me one,and they each stitched a square with flowers,as they know that is what i love and wouldn't be able to get into my gardens for awhile.Turned out very nice.It's posted on the archives of this site somewhere,but i don't know where.

Good luck to your friend,i'll add her to my prayer list.
    kathi

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for that info, Patsy..I wouldn't have thought about that. That's a good point.

Beverly~ The idea of a tote bag is great, too. Whichever quilt I decide on doing, I will try to make a matching tote bag as well. I haven't made one before, but it's worth a try. I'm sure it'll give her something to laugh about, anyway. :O)

Kathi~ Thank you for praying for her. I appreciate that, and I know she will too. Also thanks for letting me know that a pink ribbon might upset her. I wondered about that, but wasn't sure.

I won't get the quilt done this week, like I had hoped I would. But that's OK. I still haven't decided on fabric, either. I won't get a chance to order any until next week, but until then I'll use my time by looking at different things & deciding what exactly to do.

Thank you to everyone for all your help. I truly do appreciate it, as I can't think for myself right now...too much on my mind.

Melissa