SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbie1031_gw

Pics please! Can't visualize!

debbie1031
13 years ago

Help! I have now had my kitchen cabinets (dark cherry stained maple with a dark glaze) sitting in my family room for 6 weeks. Gaaaahhhhhh! I cannot pick a floor to save my life! We are keeping our same layout and re-using the grey sepckled corian counters and I need a floor that works with the warm cherry and the light cool counters.

I have been leaning toward porcelain but have yet to find something that isn't too warm where the grey wouldn't end up looking like a mistake.And very grey isn't me either- I have kind of an old-world traditional vibe in my house- lots of neutrals, hardwood, gold, green, shots of red. So, I've been looking for something light-ish with very light grey, taupe, some warmth and yet also some coolness to it and have come up with next to nothing. I bought a couple of cases of something from Lowe's in a white roman stone and laid them out. It looks "ok", but not special, feels cold and hard to me and I keep looking at my black dog and not super-neat family and wondering why I would ever lean toward something very light.

The kitchen opens up to the family room, which currently has laminate. I finally got so aggravated by the decision making that I met with an interior designer (got a great deal on the consult with a groupon) and posed my question about what type of tile might work. I had 5 kinds on the floor for her to see. Doesn't she turn around and say, "Why don't you just carry a wood or laminate through the 2 spaces?" I sat there just blinking. Just like the the cartoons where you can almost hear the sounds of silence and slow motion blinking..."blink. blink." So she asks me why I'm so quiet and all I could come up with is, "But won't that be awfully brown? Wood floors, dark wood cabinets....?"

So, if someone could settle this girl down with pics of darker wood cabinets, medium (spice-toned maybe) wood floors and cooler counters, you may be my personal hero.

Thanks!

Comments (22)

• remodelfla
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here's a thread I found from a couple of years ago that has some really nice pics. I think it's a beautiful combination, especially with a more traditional vibe.

Here is a link that might be useful: wood on wood pics

• debbie1031
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you remodelfla- that is helpful! Are there others willing to share?

• Related Discussions

I can't post pics!

Q

Comments (1)
    Before resorting to excessive exclamation points, try using Photobucket. It allows you to upload images much larger than the 61 KB limit here. It's very simple to use. Once you've signed up and uploaded the images you want, three sets of codes are displayed underneath each picture: URL, Tag, and Img. For forums such as Gardenweb, all you want to do is select the "Tag" code and paste it into the body of the post where you want it to appear. For example: The actual code won't have any of the spaces, but I put them in so you can see how the code will look like in the text. Without the spaces: I hope this helps a bit! We'll be waiting to see your pictures soon ; ) -Audric
    ...See More

I can't believe my variegated jade is doing this! pics

Q

Comments (33)
    Norma and everyone, with the gasp of energy I had left tonight, I couldn't wait to show you what I saw today on the Jade..Not fully open yet, but almost there..:-) Thankyou for all your suggestions, and Norma, for your instructions...You are a true asset to this whole community..Thankyou for sharing your knowledge and your patience..If you do not have one of these, I will send you a big cutting next spring! Wait, Jodik, did I see your name here? Awsome..I am so happy to see you here..Welcome from all! Goodnight all and have a merry night! Value all the good things in our lives...If anyone is interested in a moving story, especially for this time of year, please read this link.... Mike..:-) Here is a link that might be useful: something to ponder.
    ...See More

Can't resist ! Just a few more pics.

Q

Comments (6)
    Love them both, and please keep posting your beauties. I love seeing everyones dl's, although it's not helping my ever growing list of "must haves"!! Just when I think I've got enough dl's someone posts some beauties that I really must have!! :) Jan
    ...See More

I can't visualize

Q

Comments (11)
    I have a similar sized kitchen. I like the chandelier, it has a warm, friendly, bar-like feel. I have a few comments for you to ponder: -20" is pretty big. the single "boob light" I have in my 10x10 kitchen is only 16" diameter. two of these in your space is going to take up a lot of visual space in the room. Do you have low or high ceilings? Low ceilings is really going to make these right in your sightlines. - colour - if you are using these as task lighting, are the sides going to cast a reddish-yellow tinge across all your food? DH and I stayed away from anything with metal or "dissected" light streams, because they create shadows and shapes (think of the light cast from a traditional chandelier, it is "piece-ey) When you are using knives, checking meat for doneness, etc, neutral lighting is important for visibility. If you are okay with them being a large focal point, that may compete with other focal points (which is fine if you love them) and are prepared for some possible coloured light-casting in your food prep area, then go for it!
    ...See More
  • boxerpups
    13 years ago

Hi Debbie1031,

I have to agree with your decorator/consult one material
    through both spaces will be really pretty. A tile or wood
    but since this is not what you are asking right now. You
    are looking for images of floors that go with similar
    elements in your space. You will find it. Be brave and
    know this is going to be fantastic. You know what you want
    and you know what you like this is half the battle.
    Finding the perfect floor tile will happen it just takes
    a little energy, time and courage.

Meanwhile lets get some ideas for you to peek through and
    maybe something will trigger and idea or even a plan.
    From there we can search out the tile companies to get
    the right piece for your space. Keep in mind Old World
    is not usually porcelain but more a travertine. This does
    not mean it can not be done but the tile type may make
    a better feel if that is what you want. And cool and warm
    is going to be harder to find in a tile that is more
    solid in color, but a tile with variations like a travertine
    or sandstone or limestone is going to have a warm feel
    but could have a cool tone in color. Or even both with
    gray and ivory. Just somethings to consider.

(fingers crossed we find a good pic,
    wait make that paws crossed)
    ~boxerpups

Forgive me,
    Not all of the images will be warm cherry and the light
    cool counters. Look at the floors first and see which
    kind you prefer and from there we can pretend the dark
    counters are lighter. Only a few have the old world feel.
    And one thing I have noticed on the below images is that
    warmer colors prevail. It seems even the floors have a
    touch of warmth to go with the warm cherry tones.

Shaw floor Tile

Michael Asgian

Sensible Chic

Honed Ubatuba counter (ignore that and check out the floor)

Wine Writer mag

Old World Swedish Country

Kitchen envy

Alluminare

Cherry

Okay this is Maple cabs but the floor is really pretty

Not old world feel but this has a nice color combo

Phoencian Interiors

Style slate floor

Sudbury Kitchen Design Wolford

Garner Construction

Saturnia Floor Tile Porcelain

Mannington Benchmark Kingsbridge

Clive Christian

• debbie1031
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Boxerpups, you are always so generous with your time, your resources and your encouragement. Thank you! We headed out to my friend's house yesterday to look at their cherry cabs with oak wood floors and it all works beautifully together. We will definitely be going with wood or laminate- decision is made! (Whew!) I think for me, the reason choosing a tile is so difficult is because I am really a hardwood floor lover, and I have never met a wood floor (in good condition) that I haven't liked. They are like a little black dress and go with everything. I have never heard a home buyer say, "Unfortunately, the house had hardwood floors. I was really hoping for tile!" In fact, we picked out limestone initially, but there was no way I was willing to pay almost $10/square foot!Having that decision narrowed down should really simplify things. I even called the contractor and told him we would be ready in a couple of weeks. Baby steps, Deb, baby steps!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Debbie1031,
    I am an idiot. It is too early I have not finished my
    coffee and just saw WOOD. I am wood fan too. Now check
    out the wood floors. You will be thrilled you did wood.
    The comment you wrote about a homebuyer is priceless.
    I want to add one thought about wood floors. Dark wood
    floors and dark wood cabs may feel too dark overall.
    You might want to consider lighter wood floors. I know
    your dog is dark colored but you will barely notice the
    dog hair. I assume you vacuum weekly.

I feel like this guy.

~boxerpups

Now here are the woods. Please forgive my scanning instead
    of reading.

Progressive Builders

Ebeniste LV

Light Amber wood

Woodworking Artist NH

Woodwise eco builders

woodwise Eco Building group

Canadian Kitchens

Kitchens by Nancy

Judy Schindler designs

Design Unlimited

Creative Cabinetry

Anderson Kitchens by Nancy

Baranowski

Garrity Designs

North Shore designer

Fairfax

Walnut not cherry

• houseful
    13 years ago

My first thought was slate like Boxerpup's picture number 16. I too have similar cabinets and am stressing over the flooring. Slate won't work for me, but I love it!

• debbie1031
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ooohhh, now I am in my comfort zone. I feel the stress melting away. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Boxerpups! And Houseful, I've grown to love the look of slate, too, while on this search, but it just doesn't "go" with my traditional house. Maybe the next one...!

• debbie1031
    Original Author
    13 years ago

PS, Boxer, you had me laughing so hard I almost spit out my drink! Because....
    A)You're not an idiot, D'oh!,and
    B)OMG, You assumed I vaccuum weekly. Buwahahahahahahha! I must type like I'm a better housekeeper than I am in real life. :)

• jtkaybean
    13 years ago

Wood floors will be perfect for your cabinets!

I also have wood cabinets (cherry pecan stain) and they complement my light redish oak floor perfectly.

I had tile in my previous kitchen and hated them!
    Tile just doesn't look as good, imo.

• debbie1031
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jillsee- I've been watching your progress closely. You're almost done and it looks beautiful! We have very similar layouts in our homes, except your kitchen is bigger than mine (But then, most are!) Thanks for the reassurance!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Debbie,

Why yes, your typing is so neat and pretty I just
    assumed you had a pristine home that smells like lilies.
    But I see that you must be very young. And not old enough
    to have teenagers.

When you have three teenagers in the house you have
    an unlimited supply of slave labor. They want the car,
    they want a cell phone, they want a new lacrosse stick,
    they want to go to the movies...

BUT, they did not do their homework, they got a D on a
    test they did not study for, they got home late after
    curfew, they broke a favorite lamp playing soccer in the
    house, they forgot to let the dogs out because they were
    so busy playing video games the old one piddled on the
    floor.... (dog that is)

And my slaves appear ready willing and able to vacuum,
    scrub, polish, mow, sweep, dust, fold laundry,....
    They don't always smile but they get the job done and
    my floors look clean. The motivation to use the car,
    have a little extra cash to go on a date, and the biggest
    motivation by far is to make sure mom never yells
    out the car window in front of the school

"Honey, Did you remember your jock strap? (or
    in the case of the girls) your sports bra? "

~boxerpups
    With pristine floors.

• debbie1031
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, boy! Welcome to my world- minus the slave labor! Four kids,boy 17, girl 16, girl 4, boy 1. Pretty happy the house hasn't burned down yet, to be perfectly honest! I think I haven't played the barter card anywhere near enough. :) I need them to step it up more. 17 doesn't make a mess, 16 keeps the mess in her room. I thing the little ones running wild during the day and my love not picking up before he heads out to work is what does it. Regardless,thanks for the laugh, that made my night! I have been know to boogie on down while singing at stop signs and red lights just to get my daughter to squeal, "Ohmygawd, mommmmmmmmm! You are sooooo embarassing!" I live for those moments. I really do! :)(She is laughing when she says it. At least I think she is...) :0

• tinker_2006
    13 years ago

Nice inspirational pictures posted! I was afraid of the cherry with the wood, but here is my current kitchen

From Drop Box

• debbie1031
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tinker, that is so pretty and very close to the style and stain of my cabinets! Can you tell me the kind of wood/stain if you know it?
    Thank you!

• jgs7691
    13 years ago

While I am now setting off to find the floor in boxer's picture #3 (I LOVE it and MUST have it!) I wonder whether you would consider something completely out of the box like cork. I was in Avalon Carpet & Tile yesterday and saw some beautiful patterns, including those that mixed "the cool and the warm". I've attached a link to give you some ideas, the one that I was thinking of with a gray counter was the "Tira Areia".

Had to laugh at your and Boxer's description of the slave labor/mess making capacity of your teens. For the record, my stand-by "shout out the window" threat for mine is "MAKE GOOD CHOICES!" Oh, yes, they love it!

Here is a link that might be useful: US Floors cork - Almada collection

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

jgs,

My standard shout out is....

"Be good or don't get caught."

They know in my house, DH and I are dictators
    you are guilty until a kind adult proves you are
    innocent.
    ~boxerpups
    (Who sounds meaner than I really am)

• debbie1031
    Original Author
    13 years ago

JGS_- "MAKE GOOD CHOICES!: That's precious! Oh, and it WILL be utilized by this lady. Absolutely, positively cringe-worthy for a teen! As for cork- I think I would appreciate the uniqueness of it in someone else's home, but it's probably a little too progressive for me. Heck- tile is too progressive me. I'm a design dork! But wish me luck on my extaordinarily tiny-mullioned glass front cabinets (You could see a 16 oz beverage glass through them... That's it.Period. Horrible for display, that I have decided to remove the glass from and mirror nstead to get the light kick-back from the window across from it. I feel like a mad genius....but we'll see!

• jgs7691
    13 years ago

Happy to know that my favorite teen-embarassing line will be spreading!

and I completely get the design dorkiness -- and share it. I swear, though, someday I'm going to take the plunge and do cork somewhere. I couldn't be convinced to do the glass fronts anywhere, although I LOVE the look -- I just had to take one look into my messy cabinets to know that it would be more work for me than joy. If I had space to show off 16 oz glasses, I would be displaying a collection of pint glasses from various Irish pubs. (Hey, it could be a new trend -- SOMETHING has to replace Tuscan, right?)

I think you can't go wrong with wood, and some of the gorgeous pictures that boxerpups provided should provide all the inspiration you need. It's so much easier to have confidence in design choices when you can SEE how it's been done, isn't it. (And that's why we all adore boxerpups!)

• mrsdowfire
    13 years ago

This thread is just what I needed to see. Tinker your kitchen is beautiful and all of you are so helpful. tinker: what color stain did you use for cabinets and flooring? Are your cabinets maple or cherry? I also like the gold color paint you used...that is one color I'm starting to look at for my own kitchen but will it blend well going into my family room and dining room? What color did you paint your kitchen? I too am redoing my kitchen and will be refinishing and restaining my hardwood floors. The company I am using told me I had red oak floor. I have contracted with an Amish Cabinet maker and still have to decide on color of cabinets as well. Have made the decision to go with maple cabinets but have yet to make the decision on color of them. I wanted Cherry but my budget won't allow the. My dilemma is whether to stain the cabinets a white/cream with glaze because I've had white and have grown found of that or to change it up and stain them something like tinker has. I'm just wondering whether dark or light cabinets give more options for chosing paint color and granite countertops? I know very soon, my husband will ask, "what color paint" and rush me to make a decision that I might regret. Paint is very hard for me to pick out. Should I have countertops picked before paint? I haven't even looked at those yet...figured I'd wait till closer to finish line for that. I'm going to post two links for you all. One is of my kitchen before and during (there is no after yet) and the other link is to my house and how its painted and decorated for suggestions to a paint color suggestion for my kitchen and whether I should stain my new maple cabinets or have them painted and glazed. Too many decisions....you guys are awesome!!

Pictures of my home:

https://picasaweb.google.com/kim.weinhold/MyHome?authkey=Gv1sRgCNuo1LvayLa14wE#

Here is a link that might be useful: Recent pictures of my kitchen

• debbie1031
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hysterically, when the interior designer was over and I showed her my backsplash (maybe) selection. She said, "It's fine if you're going for a Tuscan look." Silly me, I didn't know she was insulting me! Does it count that I actually spent 2 summers in the South of France, so that Southern European look feels like "home" to me? All I want to do IS to make good choices! Sounds easy, but not so much when it comes down to it! Mrs Dowfire, our kitchens are twins, separated at birth. Fraternal of course, because yours is bigger! My cooktop and built in oven are to the left of the window and my dishwasher is where your range is- minus about 18 inches on each run of the "u". Very tight, with little counter space for me. We even have the same fridge and open area to the family room with the white mantled brick fireplace. Any way, I'm leaving white cabs (sob) and heading over to the dark side. It could be a disaster; whatever....It's time to just move forward. I think cream painted and glazed, then counter decision, then paint last. I'm ridiculously decisive with other people's homes. Don't be jealous. It's a gift! :0

• mrsdowfire
    13 years ago

Debbie, did you post any pictures? I was looking for some of your kitchen but didn't see any? What about your cabinets...any pictures? Don't sob about going away from white and heading to dark....your kitchen will look great. The pictures boxerpups posted are great and I am 70-80% leaning towards a medium to dark stain for my cabinets and then I get suggestions that I stay with white/cream colored cabinets....really makes me wonder if I'm making a mistake chosing maple cabinets stained. It's alright I need to hear what others think and thats why we are all here. :)

I found this picture of kitchen that has crown molding matching their cabinets, then they continue crowning molding in white around the other parts of the kitchen. I was wondering if that would look right and found these pictures and thought...hey that really look alright.

I just love the first two pictures of this persons kitchen. She even did a computer monitor sunk in at the end. My kitchen won't be that big...not taking out the wall like she did.

Here is a link that might be useful: Some of my inspirational kitchens

• debbie1031
    Original Author
    13 years ago

MrsDowfire, I saw that beautiful kitchen posted and really loved it, too- even though it's 3 times the size of mine! I have posted nothing yet. I don't get how to link things. Once I do, I'll be sure to share. My layout is closer to the 3rd picture- obviously because it's like yours! I will have white molding butting right up against my dark cabinets. I hadn't noticed it in the custom kitchen (firt 2 pics) before, but that is helpful, too. My backsplash will be closer to the 3rd pic.