SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nene2013

Help! Drywall disaster, can this be fixed?

nene2013
15 years ago

Okay, long story short, we got totally screwed by a drywall contractor in the past few days. We finally woke up and fired him halfway into the project, leaving us with a 1st floor disaster. Here's some of things I have run into so far and I am hoping someone can advise whether this job can salvaged or will we have to take the boards down and start over.

1. Ceiling was installed after the walls were put up. Drywall book says always do ceilings first. How big of a problem is this? So far there are two areas where I can push the ceiling up by 1/2 to 1 inch. There are no scews in the area and I don't know if there is anything to screw into yet to stablize the area.

2. I have run into two areas where the ceiling and walls do not meet- 1/2 to 1 inch gap- either ceiling board short or wall short or both. Gap filled with mud and taped over- not dry after 4 days. Can I fill the gap with mud, let it dry completely and tape?

3. No tape in a couple of corners- boards butted without any gap at all. Concerned that there is no expansion gap, can I just apply tape to these corners?

4. On most of the seams, the tape was not embedded properly or even entirely covered for that matter. There are voids under the tape. Can I remove the tape and start again? The mud was not tapered and is quite heavy in some areas, I assume I will need to sand down before re-taping. The dust is going to be excessive.

5. Walls were installed first and then the cut pieces around the inside of the window were installed. Those inside trim pieces were not cut smoothly so there are chunks of gypsum missing, leaving a very ragged seam to tape. I am going to assume that is not the way it's done but short of taking down the entire sheet, what are the changes I can successfully tape this ragged edge?

6. Some of the ceiling boards are not flat, maybe a 1/4 lippage between boards, I do not know the reason yet. Can something like this be smoothed out by mud. And I guess that is a million dollar question, just how much can be fixed by mud?

I am just sick over this mess and would greatly appreciate any advice...

Comments (5)