SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
motherof3_gw

Home Remodeling with Architect

motherof3
15 years ago

This is my first post for my remodeling project. I have a feeling it is the first of many! Thank you all in advance.

DH and I have finally decided not to move and remodel our home. We belive in feng shui and think that our home is very good luck. We have a 1970's traditional colonial that looks quite tired on the outside and is in desperate need of a new kitchen and new bathrooms. We have spoken with an architect that we really like. He is a reputable local architect that has been sort of recommended to me. We had our first free consultation. We reviewed what we would like to do:

- Increase curb appeal of the house by building a portico over the front door, building a pergola over the garage, adding crown moulding to the rooflines and windows, new shutters and changing the shingle siding to seamless clapboard over the entire house.

- Design a new kitchen and have it open to the family room. Family room will be redesigned to include new windows, a mudroom and french doors to the deck.

- Remodel our master bathroom and hallway full bathroom. Fixtures will be moved around and a bedroom closet and hall linen closet removed for extra bathroom space.

The architect said that its best to work with a budget in mind to keep our goals realistic. Once the designs are done, his recommended builders will bid on the work. Based on the bids we will see if things need to be removed from the design or if more can be added. We told him our budget is 200k. He said that it was a reasonable budget based on what we would like to do. He compared it to another job that he is currently working on that is similar to ours. That job did all the curb appeal stuff, but instead of a new kitchen/FR/baths they turned an attic into liveable space and dormered over the garage (that project looks amazing so far).

After my long winded intro - I think its weird that we needed to tell him my budget before we did any designing. I'm worried that the architect will tell all the builders what our budget is so they all come in around the same price. Also, since his fee is 10% of the project isn't it in his best interest to make the project expensive? Is this how its normally done? We are novices and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure if this matters, but I live in a fairly expensive area of CT. Thank you!

Comments (17)