SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kayhud

exposing roof trusses to open up ceiling?

kayhud
16 years ago

I'm wondering whether anyone has any experience w/ removing their ceiling drywall to expose their roof trusses?

I live in a 70's ranch that has 8' high ceilings. My roof is constructed w/ trusses which currently serve as an attic space full of blown in insulation. The main space in the house is currently very dark and oppressive and I'd like to find a way to bring in more light and a feeling of spaciousness.

I have seen photos in home books of spaces where the roof trusses are fully exposed (no drywall boxing them in to create an attic space). The trusses are painted white and the look seems to lend itself well to an informal space.

Anyone ever heard of someone taking a flat ceiling and turning it into this kind of space? I'm not sure what all it would involve other than tearing out the ceiling drywall and removing the blown-in insulation. My roof is sheathed w/ plywood and has nails sticking through it from the shingles, so I guess I would have to staple up some of those plastic vents in the cavities in between the trusses and then insulate and drywall over it somehow? This is the part I'm unsure of. Does anybody have a clue? Thanks!

Comments (30)