SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Pillow Covers

Oakley
12 years ago

The finishing touch for my living room is to get new pillow covers and one lap quilt for a chair.

I've looked every where online and all I can find are styles that are too modern.

I'm really interested in checks or stripes but there's only a few out there.

The new rug came in, it's not red, it's a muted rust which matches the sofa perfectly.

I'm basically looking for a country style pillow cover. I have many pillow forms but lack in covers.

Anyone familiar with a website which carries only pillow covers so I won't have to buy the whole pillow?

Comments (20)

• User
    12 years ago

I love the cushion covers offered by Cabbages and Roses. Unfortunately, they are located in the UK. Fortunately, they do ship worldwide. Unfortunately, that might be expensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: C&R Cushion Covers

• natesgram
    12 years ago

Try Etsy and narrow the search by using striped pillow covers or checked or the color you want. They have so many and some can be custom made.

Here is a link that might be useful: Etsy pillow covers

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jen, I love that website! Another example of different fabrics between the Brits and U.S. Every time I find a beautiful website like that, it's always in Britain!

Natesgram, thanks for the head's up on Etsy. I'll do an extended search tonight.

• forhgtv
    12 years ago

Almost all of Pottery Barn's pillows are sold with the cover and insert as separate purchases. I don't know if any of their styles would interest you, though. If you can use 26", you can look for Euro shams on eBay. I use them all the time on my couch stuffed with a Euro-sized pillow.

• les917
    12 years ago

If you have a fabric store in your area, you could go and pick out fabric and have someone make them for you. MOst fabric stores keep a list of people willing to take on sewing jobs.

Or, what I have done many times is use heavy, good quality napkins. They are usually 18" or 20 " squares, and if you can sew a straight line you can sew them together, back sides together, right in the hem of the napkin. Sew up three sides, slip in your form, and sew up the last side. No turning or slip stitching necessary.

• User
    12 years ago

My vote is also for Etsy or try and find some remnants. Let us know what you end up with. I've been tossing around the idea of different pillows for the couches and I'm just stumped with what to put with it.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I can sew but my sewing machine died. A friend said she'd sew some for me so I may look around online for fabric.

Shee, if you like country there are a lot of quilt like covers which I've been considering, but they're all on the dark side.

I also have to take into consideration that my dog likes to lay her head on the pillows I have on there now when she sleeps, so they need to be washable cotton.

What I'd like is a rust & beige check of some sort. It would match the sofa and new rug perfectly, but checks are really hard to find!

I'm going to look at Country Curtains again and see if they have any new pillows/covers.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

I have made a few myself but I second Etsy. I've found some great pillows and/or covers there. I'm actually on a WAITING LIST for a pillow after seeing it on a blog. The Etsy owner was bombarded by pillow requests! I also recommend feather pillow inserts - it really makes a difference in how your pillows look.

Honestly, I don't see country with your furniture, but of course, it is your room. Definitely not Shee's look!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Tina, I'm going to hit Etsy in a minute. No, Shee is more European/tradional. My LR is on the rustic/farm side. Antiques, old quilts, etc.

The sofa and two chairs..well, they just have to blend in. lol

But I do have two seating areas, actually 3 if you count the desk and chair, in the back of the room. Along with a stand full of vintage glassware and antiques. And my beloved Curio Cabinet which I've wanted since I was a little girl!

The room's so large I have to use my wide lens to take a picture, which I'll try to do eventually.

I love the new rug though! No pink/red at all, but a muted rust/burgandy which is a perfect match.

I have a new lamp coming in today with embroidery on the lamp shade for the sofa table. I cannot wait!

Shee, look at this pillow from Country Curtains. It's the "Geranium" color. It would be a great match for "our" sofa and my room since I have green in the room, and it appears that the red is on the dark side.

Here is a link that might be useful: Country Curtains Pillow

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Below is the link to the lamp coming today.

Oh, forgot to add above, when I decorate country, I'm not talking about stuff in Country Living magazine. That's too primitive for me.

I'll be the first to admit, I hate the two table lamps I have now. I had those before we built on and I'm trying to get the courage to tell dh that I need different one's. lol.

This lamp has to go on the sofa table even though there will be a lamp on each end table. We both read, and since the furniture floats, so does the lighting, even with canned lighting. We need the whole sitting area lit up at night. I've seen it done in magazines so if they can do it, then I guess I can. Except my 2 other lamps just.don't.match!

Anyone want to buy two nice lamps? :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Lamp

• tuesday_2008
    12 years ago

Oakley that is a very pretty lamp and I think it will go well with your mix of country, vintage, and traditional.

If you are planning new table lamps, make sure you get them tall enough. I have your "standard" height end tables and my lights are 33" tall. That is from the base to the fop finial. I remember thinking that they were going to look huge - but they are not - they are perfect reading lamps.

The height for your pretty embroidered lamp should be fine as you are using it on a sofa table.

Please show us your new rug when you get it down.

Tuesday

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

Yes, show us your room when you're done tweaking it. I've always enjoyed your rooms.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Nancy and Tuesday! Here you go!

The rug looks like it has a light green background but it's just an illusion, it's beige, which is what I like about it.

Sorry I couldn't get the furniture light enough, I forgot to turn on an overhead light.

Now you can see why I called this area the "black hole" before we got the rug.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

The new lamp will be the icing on the cake for the front part of the room.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

I like that pillow fabric and it really isn't country looking at all. You can order fabric samples from CC. Pretty lamp!

• rockmanor
    12 years ago

Ballard Designs sells pillow covers. I recall seeing some stripes and checks (both small and large) on their website.

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

You have a lovely home, Oakley- I can tell you have decorated it with a lot of love and care. I'm glad you placed the rug where you needed it- I can just picture your grandson playing on it!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh Nancy, he's already played on it last Saturday! I clear off the coffee table and that's where he likes to pull up his little rocking chair and get all his cars and trucks out.

I put the baby here too, she's almost crawling. The main reason I got the rug is because of them. They'll be coming here tomorrow too. Must go bake some cookies! :)

Rock, I'll check out Ballard. I went to Etsy and their prices for covers are the same as paying for a whole insert and cover, and I didn't see anything I liked. I wish they had the option of showing more to a page though, I think that keeps me off the site.

• sovra
    12 years ago

Just thought I'd mention-- I had a pretty specific picture in my mind of what I wanted for pillows in my front room, and I couldn't find anything close for the longest time. I ended up stumbling across a site called visionbedding.com that has about a million patterns for the things they make-- some of their patterns look like stock photos, but some are very nice. They may have something available that's closer to what you have in mind. Or you can send them your own image to put onto the fabric.

They don't list pillow covers on the site, but when I sent e-mail asking about them last year, they said that they do offer them in a 14-inch size. I ordered some that I liked, with the plan to put larger, neutral pillows behind the patterned ones. I don't love the feel of the pillow cover fabric, but I do like the way they look.

I should also mention that the ones I picked were more expensive than I thought they ought to be, but I'd hit the point at which I knew I wouldn't find anything closer to what I wanted, plus I was sick of looking.

• nanny2a
    12 years ago

Oakleyok, is this the type of check you were envisioning for pillows, or were you thinking more of a gingham type check with just two colors?

Pillow covers are something I know a LOT about, lol, just email me and I'll share what I know with you!

Here is a link that might be useful: check fabric

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I sent you an email. :) Honestly, I don't know if checks will look good or not, it's just that I love them so much! lol.

I know if I found the right color combo it would look nice. I think I'll look at fabric stores online right now so i can get a better idea.