SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rednellie

Musings on Gray and More F&B Questions...

redbazel
13 years ago

This Spring I've been collecting gray chips. I have a bunch of Pratt & Lambert, all the F&B colors, Benjamin Moore, a few Dunn Edwards, and Sherwin Williams. I've hit Martha Stewart hard as well as looking at Lowes through the Valspar stuff. I've bought and splotched:

Pratt & Lambert:

Gossamer

Feather Gray

Phantom

Solitary

Whale

Sherwin Wms:

Requisite Gray

Ben Moore:

Revere Pewter

Revere Pewter mixed at 50% more pigment

River Gorge Gray

Silver Fox

Valspar:

Rope

Silver Sage mixed in Valspar

Martha Stewart:

Cobblestone

Mourning Dove

Bedford Gray

Farrow & Ball:

Pigeon

French Gray

Light Gray

I've determined that if one is liking Revere Pewter, then Gossamer by Pratt Lambert, Requisite Gray by SW, and Bedford Gray by Martha Stewart, are very close matches. They all vary a bit but are pretty close. Silver Fox by BM is pretty close to Martha Stewart's Cobblestone. On some of my walls, one gray or another is fabulous, but then, I put it on another and it looks wimpy or blah or too much. Gray is hard. I think in a box shaped well-lit room, it might be much easier. My LR has seven walls. It's not huge, but it's still seven walls. And I need to provide a good backdrop to drop cloth drapes in natural color, as well as black-framed prints. Bedford Gray is lovely. Requisite Gray is wonderful. Gossamer is very pretty. But they all wash out against the drapes and on the main wall.

I'm heading over to SW to get two sample qts. I am supposed to be moving furniture and painting today, but one must have paint to paint, yes? I'm going to color match Hardwick White and Lamp Room Gray, both F&B colors. If neither makes the cut I'm going with the current top contender for my room, which is......

...Well, let's wait to see how they do. Anyone used the Hardwick White? Does it go very green? Anyone tried Lamp Room Gray? Does it go very blue?

Red.......frayed at the edges

Comments (19)