SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
estreya_gw

OT - Storm Water Inspection & Correction Request - must i dig?

estreya
14 years ago

Hello everyone! This is totally off topic, but there are so many people here who have constructed homes from the ground up, i thought someone might have encountered a similar issue and could offer insights i may not be aware of.

I recently received a notice from my Department of Public Works stating that i'm not in compliance for storm water facilities management. I moved in about five years ago, and this is the first i've heard of this. Although i'm aware that i have to keep the ditch clear of volunteer trees and vines and the like (i do this as part of regular maintenance anyway), there also seems to be a conveyance ditch on their maps that is not reflected on my property. The implication at this point is that i may have to dig a ditch to match what's reflected on their maps in order to be in compliance.

The gentleman i spoke with this morning was very very nice, and i'm hopeful this can all be resolved with minimal impact once he meets me on site and we discuss it. But from my perspective, there's no problem with the storm water management - there's a drainage ditch on my property with a big concrete something in it that fills just as it should each winter and dries out as the summer progresses. I'm not observing any water flowing anywhere it shouldn't (i.e., onto the road or anything). My fear, though, is that the map will speak louder than words and i'll be forced to put in some kind of conveyance ditch (heavy equipment, tearing up the lawn and so forth) to satisfy a document that may not reflect how the water tables and the like have actually been performing.

Is this making any sense at all? As you can see, i'm out of my depth here because this is all new to me. I thought i'd toss a few seeds into the wind here and see if anything grows.

Thanks for reading this far!

~ someone who doesn't want to have to dig ~

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH