SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drcindy1

rent vs. own- question related to disabled brother

drcindy
16 years ago

Hi all,

I am asking this question prematurely but know it will be a big issue when the time comes...my older brother who is intellectually challenged (not retarded, but not far from it) lives with my parents in CA, in the East Bay area. Although my parents are only in their early 70's, neither is in good health and I have no idea how long they will live. Brother has always lived at home and he is almost 40. He works full time and earns a decent salary, given his IQ, and pays just a few hundred a month in rent to my parents. He does not know how to do any handywork around the house, but can take care of basics like cooking and cleaning.

When my parents pass, my original thought is to sell the house (which will happen regardless, as brother could not maintain it) and help brother purchase a 1 BD condo. Now I'm wondering if it would be better for him to simply rent a place. I'm mostly considering this due to all the recent posts (and personal experience) about fees related to homeownership. I'm wondering if it would be cheaper in the long-run, and easier, for brother to simply call the landlord to have repairs made. He doesn't know how to fix anything by himself, is very gullible, and could easily end up paying much more to a repairman than might be necessary. (I live in WA and could not personally assist him, plus we're not close at all.) Also, I've heard condo fees can be expensive, especially for special assessments that come up from time to time. Any thoughts on this? Thanks-

Comments (12)