SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19709659

Janome MC6600P

User
15 years ago

This machine appeals to me. If you use this could you provide your opinion of the machine for quilting purposes?

Many thanks.

Comments (7)

• lynndianne
    15 years ago

Hi Mcpeg: I have the Janome 6600. I like it but have had to take it in twice because I got it jammed. I have a friend that has it and she doesn't have a problem....must be the Nut sitting in the chair. I have learned that you should use the same weight thread in the top and bottom. I did a landscape using bobbin thread in the bobbin and reg. in the top and got it jammed. I guess it's a learning process. Lynn

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Lynn,
    Thanks for your comment. I've been reading mixed reviews. At About.com there's a good review with plenty of comments/learning experiences with this machine. I know it's about $1,800 before tax and accessories so it's something I plan to do plenty of research on. A quilt shop in Ottawa is being refurbished and due to open this fall...I've emailed them already because they will be one of 2 places selling this machine. Before I make any purchase I will be wanting a couple of sessions on various machines to think about things. Being the 'dummy' that I am on 'some' machines I have a featherweight 221 that was totally refurbished by Graham Forsthdyke in England...all rewired original motor, switched to our voltage and do you think I can get the bobbin thread to pick up????

No.

So I will be taking it in to another sewing shop (already contacted the owner) who have experience with it and the accessories to show me how to use it. No problem with the accessories, just the very, very basic get the bobbin thread to pick up. I might take another stab at it. Presently I have a basic Janome Harmony 2049, which is not too bad but....

I want more! Lots more!

Thanks for sharing your comment.

• lynndianne
    15 years ago

I know all about "I WANT MORE". I paid $1399 plus 6.75% tax for mine. It was on sale. I like having all those stitches. I have an old Singer and an Elna. I think when I go back to my landscape quilt I might try to use one of those. I get freaky and worry about "breaking" the Janome. Lynn

• marcia_m
    15 years ago

I am also looking at this machine. Two helpful web resources suggested to me are Janome groups on Yahoo groups. Search for Janome_6600P and Janome 6500. (I tried to post the links to the groups but the forum considers it spamming.)

Marcia

• skeat
    15 years ago

I love my 6600! I bought it because I had a 3200 that just did not have the throat space for the quilts I was cramming in it:))It took it fine though. So, splurged on the 6600 and it sews and quilts like butter and I have had '0' problems w/it. My good friend bought one too and runs hers almost night and day quilting and again-no problems. I do recomm. the yahoo site for them, and you will learn much! I studied for a good year and I do not regret my purchase except I wish I had done it sooner:))Hope this helps-Skeat

• gone2seeds
    15 years ago

I'm a little slow replying, but new to the quilt forum. Anyhow, I LOVE mine. It was somewhat of an impulse purchase 2 years ago, but unlike most of my impulse purchases I have zero regrets. From alterations to complete costumes and curtains to quilts, I have yet to find something that I have wanted to do that I was not able to accomplish efficiently and "professional" looking in any aspect. Buying a new machine is a big decision and for the money I think it is quite the bargain in comparison to other big name machines that have the same/similar features. I wanted something that was of a higher class without having to take up a sewing career to pay for and this fits and sews wonderfully. I have had 0 problems and really put the machine through the paces and seriously run it at least 3hours a day/ 7days a week.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all of the comments. I have decided now that I will purchase this in the new year. It is the one thing I have promised myself out of my Mom's inheritance money. It's fitting because she was an avid sewer in her day. She could sew the finest seams by eye and made us beautiful clothes and doll dresses. As for any other funds left over, well, given the economy these days it's all earmarked for emergency funds of course.

Again, thanks for your comments. My next level of research will be on the accessories for it.

Cheers,
    Peggy

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County