SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enjoyingspring

Joan Rivers

enjoyingspring
14 years ago

I saw her last night on Larry King, I just could not believe what she has done to her face. It almost looks plastic, especially around the mouth area. Her face does not look real anymore, just sculpted.

This lady has too much money to spend.

Comments (35)

• helencolby
    14 years ago

I saw her on the Apprentice and thought she looked positively horrid. Like she was made up for a scary movie or something. I know she is about as old as methuselah, but she looks like a marionette. Not good.

Helen

• margad
    14 years ago

She is 76

• Related Discussions

Joan Rivers rose

Q

Comments (10)
    Probably, plus a garish color which ages very badly. I think "tasteless" might well be the usual term to describe it. To be accurately named, it would also need to be a completely persistent plant, refusing to go away, probably much like a shoot of Dr. Huey. Actually, though, the rose has a large flower, relatively decent foliage, with an intensely saturated red color. I only saw it at Sequoia under plastic and the plants were tall, loaded with flower. Mr. Moore had said his agent was on a morning news/talk show when Ms. Rivers' agent was also a guest. They spoke and the connection was made. He named the rose as a business arrangement, not really being all that familiar with the celebrity. Kim
    ...See More

I love this commercial (link to video)

Q

Comments (3)
    Made me laugh, too. I'm surprised he could keep a fairly straight face. Of course, we're probably seeing take #48.
    ...See More

Joan Rivers has died

Q

Comments (6)
    What'a life she has LIVED. She lived up to the saying 'When I die, I want to want to slide into St Peters' Gate having lived well, worn all my body part out and left them laughing" (or words like that!). Like Johnny....she was one of a kind and we are better for having known her. Rest in Piece, Joan.
    ...See More

Quotes 8 - 25 - 16

Q

Comments (2)
    She was too hard, too cynical for my taste, and always "on", if this is what she really believed, she was not a happy woman - Maybe there was a real person hidden somewhere that she kept under cover.
    ...See More
  • lindyluwho
    14 years ago

She has looked that way for years. I don't know why these people do that to themselves.

Linda

• coloredthumb
    14 years ago

Her fear of looking old is going to dominate her life. I feel bad for her.
    She is a great comediane, humanitarian and philanthropist. Involved in community and world wide charities for health and welfare of children. She is a caring kind woman who's fear of allowing nature to give her a wrinkle and looking old has made a joke of her physical appearence. Hollywood cosmetic plastic surgeons will do anything for money, including catering to a woman's fears of aging to cut and tuck.

CT

• mcmann
    14 years ago

I had tickets for The View last year and she was the guest. While we were waiting for the elevator to take us up to the studio she came out of a side door with her dog and an assistant. She started cracking jokes immediately and told us that it wasn't too late to leave but her face looked like a cardboard mask. It was really bizarre.

• Mystical Manns
    14 years ago

I don't see anything wrong with correction of specific problems, but to totally redo yourself like she has?

I think it's very sad when someone is so terribly unhappy with how they look, that they need to resort to an overabundance of surgery to "fix" it.

• organic_donna
    14 years ago

Did you notice that Mellissa looks exactly the same as Joan? I was looking at her face during the interview. The sides of her mouth are so injected with fillers that she could hardly smile.
    I used to feel bad about aging. Once I turned 50 I handled my age better. I also can't afford to get all the fillers and injections! The only thing that bothers me is I'm starting to get that chin fat thing. That has got to go!!!
    Donna

• marygailv
    14 years ago

I think the chin fat thing is heriditary, so don't expect too much there. All three of my daughters seem to have that problem and I know they got it from my husband's side of the family, as I am 80 and do not have that problem at all, nor did my mother. I just hate the bags under my eyes and the wrinkled face! At least I never smoked or the wrinkles would be even worse.

• itsmesuzq
    14 years ago

Marygaily you are right about the chin fat thing. I also have that as does my mothers side of the family. I have always hated it, but you know something...now that I'm 63 and ready to start the next phase of my life (retiring at the end of June-YIPPEE!!) I'm not caring about my chin fat. Yea, I don't like it but it's something that just "is" and I'm lucky because my face is smooth and has very few wrinkles and I like the way I look in the mirror.

I think Joan has lived in the spotlight so long and she has a certain "look" and it must be tough to be judged by your peers by your look your entire life. It seems she doesn't like the reflection in her mirror...kinda sad huh?

Susan

• organic_donna
    14 years ago

Marygail,
    The chin fat is really minor. I see it on the majority of people over 50ish. It's barely noticable but it bothers me. I'm starting to get small "fat pockets" under my eyes too. These are minor things but make me look tired. I'm 54 and by 60 I'm going to have a facelift. Only one time though. I don't want to look overdone. The facelift is not out of vanity, I don't like looking tired.
    Donna

• angelaid
    14 years ago

Another one that over-does the plastic surgery thing is that Janice Dickinson. Her face just freaks me out!
    And who is that matchmaker woman? She looks like a man.

• clubm
    14 years ago

She looks like the Cat Women from a few years ago.

• jannie
    14 years ago

I always liked her humor, I remember seeing her on Johnny Carson Tonigh Show many years ago. She was a scream. Sorry to see her so insecure about her looks. I would never allow a surgeon near my face.

• sue_va
    14 years ago

I flipped over to see who was on LarryKing and it was Joan Rivers. I don't care to see or hear her. Her voice grates and her poor face is hard to look at. I flipped back to another channel.

Is Joan's face like that because of a botched job? Can't it be undone? But I guess not.

I have deep wrinkles in my face and I sure don't like it, but I would never have any surgery on my face.

Aside from that, I did watch Celebrity Apprentice and I thought her foul mouth was worse than her face.

Sue

• enjoyingspring
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You just have to wonder how much more can she have her face pulled, it is so tight now.

I wonder what she looks like without all the makeup.

• neesie
    14 years ago

I used to like Joan back in the days when she substituted for Johnny Carson on the Tonight Show. But not anymore. Her foul mouth and holier than thou attitude are almost as hard to stomach as her face. I think some people spend too much time looking in the mirror, thinking of adjustments they want made! As far as I'm concerned she should change her name to "Nails on a Chalkboard" and everyone would know just who it was!

• organic_donna
    14 years ago

Her face is that way because she had multiple procedures done over many years. Her nose is too small and pinched looking. She has been pulled too many times. Her face doesn't move because she has so much filler, (Restelane, human fat, or Collegen), that she can't smile. Add a good dose of Botox and you have a frozen face.
    As we age our chins sag and get fat pockets underneath, we also get bags under our eyes and marrionette folds on the sides of our mouths. Our brows sink and we get droopy eyelids. All of those things make us look tired and worn out.
    I think there is nothing wrong with letting the face age naturally. I think with old age comes beauty of a life well lived. I also feel for those of us that don't like looking tired, even though we are tired, a facelift done by a good surgeon is appropriate. The problem comes in when you get addicted to being wrinkle free. Then everytime you see a new line you must have it "fixed". Those are the people that end up looking fake.
    Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: Before and after pictures

• pauline13
    14 years ago

I had the chin fat thing going, deep circles under my eyes, and lots of small lines around my mouth (lipstick bleed lines). I didn't look horrible, but I looked at least 10 years older than I was. I had to think about it for about 3 years, but at age 64, I did something about it. I couldn't be happier. The improvement is even greater than I had imagined.

• rthummer
    14 years ago

If she doesn't quit her eyebrows are going to be in her hairline, and her nose will have a constant smile. Strange.

• organic_donna
    14 years ago

pauline,
    Tell me more! What did you have done? I have very dark circles and they are huge! I have a little sagging at the sides of my chin and a small fat pocket starting under my chin. I'm not going to have the surgery for a few more years. Any advice?
    Donna

• patti43
    14 years ago

I would love to get this face fixed--droopy eyelids, chin and neck especially. Maybe a little off the nose. I may have to have the eyelids done if they get much worse. Neighbor had it done and insurance paid for it.

• helencolby
    14 years ago

I too am interested in what Pauline has to say about getting a lift.
    I would love to get rid of some of this 'turkey neck' I seem to have developed. I postively have wattles these days.

Helen

• User
    14 years ago

I hate the sagging next to my mouth, and I have a little crepey spot on my neck. No wrinkles, but the face is definitely starting to go south. It looks great when I pull it up a bit, too bad it won't stay. :o) I don't know if I would have PS though, I think I would be too afraid. Every once in a while, you read of something dying due to PS complications. That would be terrible, to die for vanity's sake.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

I think the celebrities who look the worst are the ones who started getting the plastic surgery when they were young. As one ages the skin thins and does not lay well over the scars that are inevitable with each surgery. The ones who started "having work done" at such a young age like Cher, Kimberly Conrad, Priscilla Presley, Michael Jackson, Bruce Jenner, Joan Rivers and others, always look terrible as they age. Like aliens.

You can already see that sort of thing in Kendra Wilkenson. She is 23 now and looks like a 40 or 50 y/o woman in the face.

{{!gwi}}

"I wish I had a twin, so I could know what IÂd look like without plastic surgery." ~Joan Rivers

Some attribute her oft quoted quip to merely being self depreciating humor. Others feel it was a dig at the twin sisters, more commonly known as "Ann Landers" and "Abigail Van Buren", where one got plastic surgery and the other did not. Since both twins were in the public eye, comparisons were made of course. One looked "old", the other looked like an alien.

• organic_donna
    14 years ago

I feel sorry for these people.......

Here is a link that might be useful: Awful plastic surgery

• sephia
    14 years ago

I never cared for Joan Rivers. To me she sounds like she's spacey high on something or has been drinking.

Don't forget Kenny Rogers and Wayne Newton - both of their faces look pulled and stretched really thin.

• matti5
    14 years ago

I think she looks alot like Michael Jackson now.

I'd hate to walk around the with a "surprised look" 24/7, but I guess some people like that.

• organic_donna
    14 years ago

I think Joan is happy with the way she looks. In the end that is all that matters.
    Donna

• pauline13
    14 years ago

Helen & Donna,

There's really not much I can say about it. Heredity and sun exposure had a lot to do with the way I was aging. Some people age well and others do not. I was one of the "others." Not only does the skin sag as we age, but we lose fat in our face (usually the cause of under eye bags) and even our bone structure changes by thinning. According to my dentist, this bone thinning is one reason why the very elderly have trouble with their dentures. They don't have enough bone left to be able to make a denture that fits well. It can also affect the line of one's chin.

In my case, I looked at least 10 yrs. older than I am as mentioned in my post above. To fix the problems, I had a face lift, lower eye lift, brow lift, chin implant, and chemical peel around the mouth area. I spent one night in the hospital and, if it weren't for the chemical peel, I basically looked normal within 2 weeks. I remember some pain the first night, but it was minimal. However, you do look like you've been in a train wreck. Even though you look normal rather quickly, it takes at least 6 mos. to a year for everything to level out. You will also have numbness in your parts of your face for some time afterwards. It's not completely numb, but a lot like you feel after having Novocain at the dentist.

In my case, I apparently miscommunicated to my doctor what I didn't like about my eyes. I have lids that droop so badly now, the skin actually lies on my eyelashes. I wanted that repaired. My doctor thought it was more the outer corners that bothered me, so he recommended a brow lift. Unfortunately, that didn't fix my problem so I will be having my upper lids done in September. All of this should last about 10 years. Do to my age, I doubt that I will do it again, but I don't regret in any way having done it this time. Losing that neck and those bags has taken at least 15 years off of the way I look.

• redcurls
    14 years ago

I can't stand her...whether it is looking at her, or listening to her. Just too crude for my taste.

• workoutlady
    14 years ago

So Pauline, I'm curious how you find the doctor you liked? What types of questions did you ask? I would like to do something with my eyes probably have something done with the upper and lower lids. But I need to start saving now!

• organic_donna
    14 years ago

Pauline,
    If you go to a eye doctor he can do a test to see if the eyelid skin interferes with your sight. If so insurance will pay for the surgery.
    Thanks for the insight. I was wondering if you had fat injections in your face. It sounds like you did not.
    Donna

• enjoyingspring
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I had forgotten about Wayne Newton, last time I say him he was scary looking too.

• Lily316
    14 years ago

Melissa is starting to look like her mother. She can't be old enough to have plastic surgery already. Anyone seen Joan VanArk lately?

• pauline13
    14 years ago

Donna,

Yes, I did have fat injections in the cheek/under eye area. The fat was taken from my stomach. Sometimes, it is taken from the inner thigh.

Scissors,

I live in a community that is very medical oriented. My dermatologist is well known here and his wife is an oncologist. He recommended the surgeon. Not only are they friends, but they have used his services. It took me a long time to decide to do this so I had plenty of time to ask questions of lots of people.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths