SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mandogirl

Any info about summer/winter hook up, oil heat?

mandogirl
16 years ago

Hi. I am interested in a house that has oil heat with a summer/winter hook up. I have gas heat in my current house now and am not familiar with how anything else works. My very limited understanding is that with summer/winter hookup your furnace basically has to run all summer to heat your water. Is this right? This spells large oil bills to me, but again I don't know much about oil heat. I'm in PA if this helps...cold cold winters and hot hot summers.

The background on this house is that it was built in 1910. It has an addition that put on in 1930. As far as I know, the house has had oil heat from day one. However, the oil heat system (with summer winter hookup) that the house currently has is brand new as of 2006. So I'm wondering if a new system will be more energy efficient than what I'm imagining.

The house, BTW, is large. I don't have square footage info, but it's got 5 bedrooms, 3 full baths, living room, family room, eat in kitchen, breakfast room, mud room, full basement, attic with pull-down stairs access.

Is anyone familiar with this type of system (and/or oil heat in general)? I'm trying to figure out if this summer winter hookup thing is something to avoid.

As an aside, we drove by the house yesterday, and the roof looks like it might be bad. Some shingles are coming off in front on the one side. The shingles are reddish and octagonal shaped. I've never seen octagonal shingles before (has anyone else?), and I'm wondering just how old this roof is. Egads! Otherwise the house seems a good value for the price they are asking.

Thanks in advance for any advice/info you can give.

- mando

Comments (10)