SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
summer_in_alabama

Exterior Door '??' Reverse Installation

summer_in_alabama
18 years ago

In process of remodeling kitchen. Currently have exterior door into garage. Will be putting an exterior door also in the kitchen out to fenced in back yard. (No more having to go out kitchen garage door and around to back yard. Will be building a small landing and deck where the new exterior kitchen door will open onto.

I bought a new steel door with built in framing. The top half is window. I got the door for only $20.00 from a thrift store. It is brand new and in excellent condition.

I want to put this door in for the kitchen-backyard door.

The only problem I've encountered is it opens opposite the way I want and also when the door swings open into the kitchen it will take up to much space around the new sitting bar area. I've decided it would be better for the door to swing open outside onto the deck area. I know most houses the doors open to the inside and not the outside and reverse for businesses. "I definitely want the door to swing out to the outside deck."

My Question is can I install this door "Reversed" (inside out - outside in) and how would I resolve the issue with the metal threshold being on the inside of the house and not the outside? How would I do the threshold for the outside? Do not want the metal threshold showing on the inside. Will be installing new ceramic floor in the kitchen.

I'm really hoping I can do a Reverse Installation with this door. Money is tight and couldn't pass up a brand new steel door for $20.00 knowing I was needing a door for the kitchen.

P.S. - You should see the brand new Pella Designer Series 4'x4' window with mini blinds between the double panes I got at the thrift store again just for $20.00. Know just where i'm putting it (in storage for that future remodeling project).

Thank you for reading my "backwards remodeling project"

Details of how to make this happen would be so appreciated!

Comments (11)