SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amysrq

Is this a Zillow scam?

amysrq
16 years ago

Hi there. First post here, but long-timer at Home Dec. We have decided to relocate for family reasons and even though we won't list 'til January (we're in FL) I put the house on Zillow last night for a price just below the Zestimate. I just did it as a lark. Probably not such a good idea but it has really motivated me to get working today!

Anyway, today I get this e-mail from someone who saw my house on Zillow:

"Hi, My wife and I are looking for a house in your area. We would be willing to give you your price if you would be willing to sell to us on a lease option. We have good references and good assets. Please call me or e-mail me if you would like to sell your house this month. Thanks."

So, I googled the guy. He's a realtor and builder out west somewhere. This sure feels like a scam to me. I figure he e-mails lots of Zillow users, just looking for a sucker...

Is he just a legitimate bottom-feeder (my market had a big bubble and has been completely stagnant) or a true scammer? I do have a unique house in a unique neighborhood -- not a development and highly desirable before the market came to a halt. It is not inconceivable that someone would be looking in this specific area. But, I just don't trust him... Any ideas about what's going on here?

Also, should I get my house off Zillow for now? Does it hurt me in any way to have it there before we even find a realtor? Thanks!

Comments (11)