SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jejvtr_gw

mongo !- this is for you & anyone else who talked me into rc -

jejvtr
18 years ago

Thanks for all your advice - I think Brickeye did talk me into this as well

The ceiling is nearly done -

I had to teach the crew about RC - but all were willing - I think they think I'm a little crazy

I did Roxul btwn joists - RC channel w/acoustic padded tape (green) - I 'll have them do some chalking too

Now I have another dilema -

Fireplace - pics inside prior mantle was UGLY veenered -icky - framing was huge

I'll try to explain - it's difficult working in the abstract but I'll do my best

If you look at pics as ref

1. The top framing which projects out - 3 3/4" from wall right on top brick of is 72 1/8" from begin of left project to end right projection

1. 2 sets of 2x4 framing on either side of firebox from outside of one to outside of other it's 48 1/2"

oddly the spacing between vertical 2x4 is different on ea side Left side (looking at firebox) is 9" btwn , Right side is 8 1/4 btwn

-"first" set of 2x4's spaced 56 1/2" apart

I have a salvaged mantle is 57" top of mantle

- outside leg to outside of leg measures 56 1/2

- legs are 5 3/4" wide

- top of mantle down to opening is 12"

** That mantle could actually meet the first set of 2x4's but certainly not the 2nd - there is a 15" difference btwn the overall frame & her mantle.

which may not be centered **

Even the flooring would be effected by tearing this out there is a 2x4 horizontal at bottom on floor joining those verticle 2x's together

Don't know if this is making sense but trying to come up w/a solution to best suit the needs here - I have the feeling it's really not the mantle that is the problem - as i think even i purchased the Rings End mantle that would have had similiar issues - I just think dimensionally a stock Mantle will not work & even if I did the custom route (would rather not $$$$$) - it would be too large in the living room which is 12'x 23'

It is how to creatively attach this mantle - do as little demo as possible - keep the existing framing - even if you cut that framing back I don't think you can get it flush to the wall.

here's what I've come up with

1st preference - shave the framing back to the wall and plaster from return of mantle over the old framing

2nd - dry wall/soffit vertical the framing that is not needed roughly 8" on either side not sure I'd love the look

3rd small nook type built in cubbies for nice chotchka

any Thoughts

THANKS

eileen

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comment