SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
metromom_gw

Removing Smoke Odor - x-post with cleaning

metromom
16 years ago

We have been in this house for a month and there is one room that smells like cigarette smoke -- I'm guessing that the previous owners smoked only there, because the rest of the house seems to be fine. We don't have forced air, so I guess that's good - the smell doesn't get blown around.

But I can't seem to get rid of it! I've had the windows open for a month, have tried bowls of baking soda, have removed the carpet and washed all the surfaces -- no improvement. Finally, I gave in and primed the walls with BIN (ugh, what a nasty experience) -- it made a small improvement but definitely not enough. Has anyone dealt with an odor problem this stubborn? I don't know whether to do a second coat with the BIN - would a second coat help? I thought one coat was supposed to do it. I didn't do the ceiling so I guess I could try that but I dread the mess - it is so thin and spatters everywhere. Do I need to refinish the wood floor that was under the carpet? Should I just start painting over the BIN and hope that as the paint goes on, the extra coats will cover it up. There are some vinyl roller shades on the windows that I will replace but other than that, there's nothing left in the room that could be holding the smell!

I really want to get this resolved soon because (a) I have two babies sleeping in there and don't want them exposed to it or their clothes to start smelling like it and (b) I'm looking forward to decorating but am afraid to paint or add carpet, bedding, etc until the smell is gone.

Thanks for any help!

Comments (29)