SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_1288772

Adding a bullnose edge?

User
11 years ago

Still working on the stairs... Attached is a picture of the first step looking down at it. You can see how I wrapped ithe tread around the wall on the right. Since the tread sticks out farther than the wall, I thought this would make it seem more intentional and a bit more finished. It does to a certain extent, but the completely flat edge lacks the grace of a bullnose. Can a router be used to create a bullnose on that one inch (she asked because she has never used a router before)? I know the created bullnose on the right would still be end grain.

Alternative is to cut off the return I made and buy a pre-formed bullnose oak return. It's only a couple of dollars (literally 2 bucks and change), but I wonder about 2 things: attach by routering a groove in the return and a groove in the side of the tread and connect with a spline and adhesive? Won't that attached 1-inch joint be weaker than the way the tread is now contoured?

Can you tell I have no idea what I'm doing? Those enablers on the decorating forum got me going on this project...

I appreciate your help with this latest twist!

Comments (14)