SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blackthumbbb

trim in 1950's home

blackthumbbb
14 years ago

Ok so here's my dilemma. I have a 1950's ranch home. I have some archways and a few "fancy" details, that to me warrant a nice, basic crown molding. This will hide some of the waviness of the walls anyway. My baseboards, casing, etc. is natural stained oak - the standard variety found in 1950's/60's homes. Since it was just laquered (or whatever the clear coating is called) it will be very hard to match since it has yellowed a bit over the years (not bad really but enough). I don't necessarily like the idea of stripping and painting everything white (and I'm assuming white crown w/natural trim would look hideous), plus I like the idea of keeping some of the original characteristics of home. So, how the heck do I match the color? Has anyone had any luck with this?

2nd question - I have the original 1954 Lyon Metal cabinets which I'm intent on keeping. Does fine auto-body paint really work to refinish them? Anyone tried it? They are in good condition so I'm looking to give them a facelift not an overhaul (so no electro-static painting, etc).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

BB

Comments (9)