SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_in_sc

We're raising our house - anyone here with experience?

mary_in_sc
10 years ago

Three years ago we bought a 1200 sq. ft. ranch style house, built in 1968, on a barrier island. Our house is three blocks from the beach, and it's on a great lot and on a great street.

We currently rent it out as a vacation rental and visit it 5 or 6 times a year, but we're going to retire there next year.

From the time we bought it we planned on adding to it once we lived there full time, with the plan being to do most of the work ourselves.

But now we realize that we need to raise the house before we add onto it. First there is the cost of the flood insurance, which will be going up if the house isn't raised, and there is also the max flood insurance, which is $250k.

So -we're going to have it raised. I need to get survey to get an elevation certificate to determine how high it needs to be raised, but based on our next door neighbors house, which was built to the required height, it will probably need to be 8 feet off the ground.

Has anyone here had any experience with building a raised house, or with having one raised?

I've got so many questions that I'd like to get answered before beginning to try to find companies that do this.

I also have a lot of questions about building on piers. I'm used to houses on foundations, either with crawlspaces or basements. Designing and building those are pretty straight forward. But if you're building on piers, how do you figure out where you need the piers, and is the framing of the floor done differently?

So if anyone has any info at all I would really appreciate hearing about it.

Comments (9)