SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosemaryt_gw

So, how is the economy in your neck of the woods?

rosemaryt
15 years ago

The other post about foreclosures got me to thinking. I don't believe the government's CPI (consumer price index) is an accurate reflection of price increases because the cost of groceries in our area has skyrocketed in the last year.

I see some slowdown in the local restaurants (here in Southeastern VA) but not a huge amount and I see that the price of our real estate is down a bit. However, the homes in the suburbs are taking the biggest hits (in terms of price). People want to live near the city's downtown again. Houses near downtown aren't losing much value.

The local movie theaters aren't as busy as before, but the hardware store is still doing a bustling business. I see more bicycles on the road and I see people buying small amounts of gas ($5 and $10 increments).

However, my daughter in Raleigh, NC reports that their restaurants have shown a precipitous drop in business. She sees many other signs of a troubled economy in her neck of the woods. She said jobs are hard to find and things seem pretty grim.

So, what have you observed - for good or bad - in your area?

Rose

Comments (11)