SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
that70shouse

advice for my 1970's family room in all its paneled glory

that70shouse
17 years ago

OK-I'm a newbie here and have done numerous google searches for info on what I should do with my family room and have finally logged on. I'm hoping that someone-anyone will have some input.

The family room is open to the kitchen-has dark paneled walls-white ceilings with dark rough hewn ceiling beams and a floor to ceiling brick fireplace (flanked by more beams, of course) and bookcases. We've completed our modified kitchen remodel (kept the dark ash cabinets-put in new appliances and tile floors-painted it neutral-travertine backsplash) so we are attempting a kind of tuscan look. We toyed with the idea of removing the ceiling beams but everywhere you look these days in decorating magazines-there are beams-I'm hoping with an update to the fireplace-with either travertine tile or?? removal of the paneling (or painting-or liner possibly) we might be able to pull it off. We priced stone veneer installation for the fireplace and it was just too expensive so it will have to be updated with either tile or brightening the brick. Basically-I'm looking for any advice in regards to the beams-and the fireplace and the room. It's our last room downstairs and I'm hoping to get a jump on it. Thanks in advance

Comments (26)