SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gldnfan

Cautionary tale

gldnfan
15 years ago

I hesitate to post here again ;-) However, I do think what I experienced may help someone else.

Briefly, we had some pre-primed door trim that when painted out revealed 3 very distinct vertical lines. Sanding to the bare wood revealed a 1x4 trim made up of many 1x1 ish pieces. We have managed to make it "better" by sanding and using brushing putty - it isn't perfect but at least you really have to look for it instead of being able to see it across the room when the sun is shining.

Fortunately my rep took immediate responsibility for the issue - said it obviously wasn't right and she would do what was necessary to fix it. SInce the issue wasn't caught until the first coat of sheen went on removal wasn't practical. We have clay walls that would have to be redone and every room would have to be repaired and repainted. Her company is paying for the extra prep and painting of the trim. I am satisfied with the response.

In investigating I have learned that the trim we were delivered was not the trim I ordered. My GC originally referred me to his door and trim rep but did say - I am not really happy with their customer service so you may want to ask around. When his rep did not call me back for a week on a door he knew I needed quickly - actually he never did call me back at all! I took the recommendation of a friend and went to her rep. She was wonderful and I believe if anything shady is going on she is not involved - especially given her response and true remorse.

We were shorted quite a bit in our trim delivery and did not have enough for our finished garage so we got another delivery. It is not the same trim at all - each piece is labeled with a company sticker and the quality of the prime is really good. THe pieces are solid. I held the two next to each other and there is no question the first batch was not what I ordered and is instead some cheap junk trim. My rep also confirmed that that company never constructs trim in that way - they suggested the planer blades may have been off-set. However, sanding proved it was not a blade issue ;-)

I can't prove anything but since they have an order for the other trim and that is not what I got I can't help but wonder if someone in the warehouse is pulling some switches and selling the other trim - it would not be impossible. I did suggest the rep might want to look into the warehouse procedures.

I suspect my GC would not have noticed even if he ordered it - he sent back framing lumber a few times but I think on the trim he would have assumed - its primed its the right size it is what we ordered. THat is why I stop by every day to check the materials as we get them.

I check all the things I "know" carefully, like tile - I spent two days going through marble tiles in a warehouse when we were delivered a bad batch at first. Bit I honestly thought trim was trim and wasn't too worried about it.

If I were to do it again I would get a sample of every piece and compare it to what I received. I actually did with the crown and baseboard and if I were a little more with it or thought it could possibly matter - I probably should have questioned the 1x4 since it did not look like the base and crown.

Anyway, I am just sharing because maybe there are others out there who will be ordering materials and like me, they will assume if it looks similar it is the right stuff. These may be the things someone looking to get a little extra to get by in these tough times may try to slip by or may just make an honest mistake with.

Comments (8)