SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hilnaric

A couple of security questions

hilnaric
12 years ago

I'm looking at buying a townhouse of a sort that's very typical in South FL: a fourplex with a mansard pseudo-roof that covers the second story except for two sets of sliding patio doors to the tiny balconies. The same doors are used downstairs for windows.

My concern is for everyday security--it's super simple to lift those sorts of doors right off the tracks if you want to get in and the front door is locked. It's fairly easy to use a track block or security bar if you have one-way sliders, but these open from either end, so those methods will only keep the inner door from being opened.

Is there something better than just using a pin where the doors overlap? I've considered impact sliders since the existing doors are pretty old and should probably be replaced, but they do have accordion hurricane shutters, so from a cost standpoint it would be preferable to replace them with regular glass. Also, we're required to stay with the ugly bronze door frames and I'm not sure I can get impact sliders with that finish.

Second question: does anyone know anything about the performance of the programmable keypad locks? I'm considering one of those for the front door, since I'll be remodeling before I move and it would be simpler just to set a code and tell that to the plumber or electrician. (Nothing that involves a crew--just one or two people at a time and I'll know who they both are.) That way it wouldn't be a big holdup if I can't get there to let them in as soon as they arrive or after they come back from lunch, and it would be handy for me later on when going to the pool or the beach not to have to take a key.

But I don't know anyone who has any experience with how reliable and tamper-proof these are. Any thoughts?

Comments (14)