SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandy808

Need eat In Kitchen Feedback For New Design

sandy808
14 years ago

Hi! I'm a long time antique rose forum gal, but recently I've been lurking here to get some ideas. We are designing a new log home and want to get some blueprints drawn up. The hold up has been the kitchen. To me, it's the most important room in the house. We will have a great room adjoining openly with the kitchen/eating area, with my table able to expand into the great room when we have a crowd over. Both rooms are view oriented towards our woods and pond.

Well, I've been banging my head against the wall for weeks. Too many kitchens are pretty, with little storage, and poor work flow. My thoughts are an L-shaped design, with a nice island, nearby walk in pantry, with the kitchen table down at the end towards a view of our woods, and sliding glass doors. The drawback is the long trek to actually get to the table with dishes, food, etc. that this design involves. I had a kitchen in my last home where it was almost 20 feet to the dish cupboard and table. It really wasn't fun.

The other option would be to put the kitchen table in the center of the kitchen, with windows over counters looking out at the woods. Probably not quite as nice as a clean view with sliding glass doors, but certainly a workable design with minimal aggravation getting things to the table and clean up. It also frees up lots of square footage for large walkin storage closets "behind" the kitchen. The disadvantage is more view from a couch or the table itself of any food prep mess. (I tend to do most clean up after eating). Not sure if this actually bothers me or not.

Any thoughts? I'm very close to a complete meltdown. We've wasted large amounts of money on both an architect and a "house designer" who just plain doesn't get it. They think a 34 foot long kitchen is just dandy, and that an 11 ft. by 11 ft. laundry room has tons of storage when there isn't a closet in sight, but we have three doors going everywhere hacking the room up. I guess you're supposed to heap dirty clothes in one doorway and stock laundry items in another.

Sandy

Comments (17)