SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suz1023

fantasy kitchen fireplace and stairs

Susan
14 years ago

i have found the fireplace i've had in my head for the past forty some-odd years. i had a childhood memory of it and didn't know if it was from a story book, dream or past life or what!!

i recently borrowed an old movie from the library---and there it was! it's from the 1963 cinderella starring leslie ann warren.

our remodel will start in about a year, i am starting the research to bring this firepalce and stair design into 2011, with the commensurate eco-advantages and design sensibilities.

first, it needs to be super efficient, helping to heat a two story kitchen/bedroom addition. plus dh wants to be able to bake bread in it as well, so a rumford style firebox is what i'm looking into. while the fireplace will be the focal point of the kitchen, the staircase will wrap around the back of it and be the focal point in the entry way, so they need to be substantial enough to carry it off. the house is a quirky take on a vermont farmhouse already, so this will be a super addition i hope.

the design/builder i've interviewed is excited about it, and has built some super rumford fireplaces and interesting homes, so i'm encouraged that it can be done.

i'd love to show it off and get some feedback on how to tweak it to make it a great feature in my home. i already know the stairs need to be wider and less steep, but we have only ten feet in which to work, so it's going to be a challenge indeed!

i have figured out how to get a pic in my computer, but haven't yet figured out how to upload to this site. i can email it if someone here is willing to try for me.

Comments (8)