SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northcarolina_gw

How to get glued-on things off drywall?

northcarolina
13 years ago

Does that make sense? In our basement bathroom is a vanity cabinet that has a one-piece top with an integrated backsplash. Along the side wall, which the vanity abuts, is an extra piece of cultured marble (or whatever it is) that has been stuck to the wall as a side splash. However, it doesn't quite fit and isn't quite rectangular (the ends slope a bit), so there is a gap in the corner that is bugging me now that I am finally finishing the basement. The gap is about a half-inch square and DH says I should just fill it with joint compound, but... eh. What sort of trouble am I looking at if I pry the side splash off the wall? Will I have to cut out a rectangle of drywall with it and then figure out how to repair it? I'm not sure what it's attached with; there is a bead of clear caulk (or something) around the edges but I'm sure it's also glued on. I will be going through this same thing when it's time to replace our kitchen countertop (the backsplash is a 6-inch tall piece of melamine that has been glued to the wall), so any advice is welcome!

Comments (4)