SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tradewind_64

Radiant heat under laminate over concrete slab

tradewind_64
15 years ago

I have been researching radiant heat for several days and finding the resarch is raising more questions than it is answering. The project is an install of a laminate floor in a walkout basement, and I want to add underfloor heating.

Initially I thought that Pex (or Pex type) could be retrofitted over the slab, but I am concerned about height issues. There appears to be a very slim brand, Pexatherm, but it is only available in the UK. Part of the basement has 7 foot ceilings due to duct work, so I can't afford to lose much height. Is there any kind of Pex system that is slim but available in the US?

Another issue is that this house was built in '71 and I am pretty sure the concrete slab is simply sitting on a sand bed, not rocks and insulation. In such a case, is radiant heat really a viable option, or would I just be mostly heating the earth? Is there any kind of barrier than can keep the heat from transferring so much into the slab?

I am not against electric, if that would be a better option. I have electric underfloor heating in an upstairs bathroom, but this is a such a different situation. Because the basement is a large space (~1000sf), my research led me to believe that hot water was a better choice. I want to make the best choice I can with what I have to work with.

I am not going to be digging into the concrete slab, and I am limited in height, so, with those parameters in mind, is there any sort of underfloor heating that will work in my case? (To summarize: walkout basement, non-insulated concrete slab, laminate floor overlay, low ceilings).

Thanks for any help anyone can give me. I have contacted professionals but they do not really address my concerns about so much heat being wasted into the earth, they just want to do the work and reassure me that they do hundreds and everything is dandy. Yet, my resarch online tells me that these are real issues to address. One installer says he can install half inch water pipes (he didn't tell me what brand) which sounds good but he is dismissive about how much heat is wasted. I am also suspicious of how tall "half inch" pipe actually ends up being, once all layers are in place.

Thoughts, tips, suggestions welcome and appreciated!

Joanna

Comments (12)