SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shannon01_gw

ready for knockdown, need specific help now

Shannon01
16 years ago

Okay, the pic does not show it but we are ready to spray the knockdown. I have compressor and hopper, the whole deal. I have done this before but the wall was small and flat, no curves or anything. The edges are all rounded on this surround. The top middle recesses about 3 inches.

Where do I start?? I will hang dropcloths to protect ceiling and the windows so as to not have too much overspray onto the existing sides of the wall.

When I spray, should I do the recessed areas first, the sides, the underside of the mantle????? I need some specific help here on what to do in what order. I know to use a large knockdown knife that has rounded edges- wish someone had suggested that the last time I had to do this. I know to knockdown the round edges last, possibly sanding them after it has completely dried. For the inside corners should I get a corner knife for knocking those areas down??

I could really use some advice here. I know to do a practice board first so as to get my technique and thickness right. I know how to blend to the existing, I am really confident about doing that as I have had to do other patches in house and you cannot see them at all. At least I am solid on some things. I also know if the spray comes out bad it can be wiped up and redone, when still wet. I have prepped the wall with primer also to avoid the compound seams from drying at a different pace than the drywall.

I am not in an emergent situation, just at the next step. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Comments (3)