SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mariposatraicionera

Andersen Renwal casement or canopy window?

Hello all,

We are planning to redo our kitchen window which is currently 36" x 36" with a 17" deep sill to a 36" x 48" window with 6" sill.

I had a sales person come out and he suggested his Andersen Renewal casement or canopy window.

From the outside:

{{!gwi}}

The inside:

{{!gwi}}

I want to be able to open the window easily. Is the Renewal a good window? Any users?

Comments (4)

• rjoh878646
    17 years ago

Nice windows but VERY expensive. I had a quote from them to replace the windows in my house $9,000. I went with a local firm that builds their own windows, has a very high rating on all the mfg window rating sites. Got them for around $4500. Pella replacements were $2,000 lower than andersen renewal. Check with a regular andersen dealer. The hole for your window looks standard size so a new construction window should fit in there with no problems.

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Rjoh. We eventually plan on replacing all our windows, but would like to finish the kitchen/bathrooms remodel first. The company that came out said their price included tear out and putting the window in, plus a two year warranty on their install. I know that is why the price was way higher than I expected. What do you think of Pella? Will be checking out a few companies that carry other brands to see how they compare.

• jamesk
    17 years ago

It looks as though your current window is a single-hung sash. Do you find it cumbersome to open and close? Is that why you're considering a casement or canopy window?

A couple of things to consider here. When you eventually replace the rest of the windows in the house, what type of windows will you go with? You'll probably want whatever you put in the kitchen to be compatible from an appearance persepective. If you retain sash windows in the remainder of the house, a canopy window could work in the kitchen, because you'd still have a horizontal muntin above the operable pane. A casement window, on the other hand, might look a bit out of place because on a window as large at 36"x48" you'd probably end up with two-panes and a vertical muntin down the center. A very different look.

Regardless of whether you go with a canopy or a casement, you'll need a model that cranks open and closed if you want to have a screen, which would be mounted on the inside of the window, not outside like your existing screen. With a canopy window, the crank would be located at the top of the operable pane, which might be a stretch. With a casement, the crank would be at the bottom of the window -- easier to reach, but at odds stylistically with the rest of your windows.

I'd urge you to consider carefully before you start altering or mixing the styles of your windows. Whatever you choose should be compatible with the style of your house, and should be consistant throughout the house.

Hope this helps.

James

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    17 years ago

James, It's been awhile since I came around here. Sometimes I forget which forum I posted on, so please forgive my late response.

You might be surprised and interested to know that the weeks in between posting, I spent many hours visiting different showrooms and speaking with sales people about my window options. I came away purchasing (yet to be installed) an Andersen Renewal window (canopy or awning as some call it), which will have a crank at the bottom thus making opening easier. We also upgraded to the Tru-scene screen since it will be on the inside of the window as opposed to the outside like the rest would be.

I thought long and hard about the finish outside and picked one that I will upgrade to. The finish inside is a small amount of maple in the same stain as my cabinets but with enough drywall that will match the rest as we upgrade slowly. Mind you, their windows are EXPENSIVE!

Thanks again for the advice. Hopefully it will help someone else :-)