SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kelhuck_gw

Selling our house: Just bad luck, or something else?

kelhuck
11 years ago

We've had our house for sale for 5 months now. The first two months were FSBO, and we finally caved and listed it on the MLS.

We've had so much positive feedback! When we were FSBO, it seemed like our front door was revolving- so many people came and 3 times we nearly had it sold....but something external always happened at the last minute to make the buyer back out.

I couldn't handle the up and down emotions any more, so we listed with a realtor. Again, great feedback, but like a broken record, twice now we've been picked as THE house, but something happens to the buyer and we're back at square one. (Only once we've actually started talking price; the rest stopped just short, so maybe I'm counting my chickens before they hatch?)

Does this happen routinely? It's our first time selling, and hopefully our last!!!

-Buyer's sister dies the night of their second visit, so buyer re-evaluates life and decides to move closer to home.

-Buyer's grandma unable to loan them the money after all. (these people continue to drive by the house every few days- perhaps hoping for a MAJOR price reduction??? If so, just send me a new offer and let's start negotiating!)

-Job transfer fell thru.

-Buyer really wanted to buy (as exhibited by multiple emails and conversations), but for reasons unknown to me, walked away after 3rd showing (perhaps the most bothersome, because we don't know what happened).

-Buyers really want to buy, but are unable to sell theirs (we aren't interested in contingencies.)

We live in a small town, and I share mutual friends with most of these people, so I'm hearing "how much they love the house" or they're "so excited to finally settle down" or they "can't wait for the girls to finally have a fenced yard and playset", so I'm not just assuming these people want the house- I'm hearing it (albeit second hand) from them.

Am I cursed? Or does this happen all the time? I know a sale isn't a sale until the deal is closed, but goodness gracious! To be so close, so many times, has taken such an emotional toll on us. I seriously hope I never have to sell another house again.

Comments (11)