SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

September Quilting/Sewing Goals

Seems like I sewed everything except what I should have been doing on UFO's! Oh well, I did a lot of things off the list and had fun doing it, so there are carry over's to Sept list. Nothing new about that.....

1. BT - Backing on

2. Stabilize Ties to background fabric (buy backing)

3. Finish Advent Calendar

Pillowcases - 40/18

Log Cabin RBR - (buy backing)

Dollie Quilt tops - 10/3

Trim 42 HST

Quilt Alongs X3

BOM X2

10 Pillowcases for military hospital

The first three have numbers because I hope to work on one of them for at least half an hour every day. Maybe that will help to get them done!

The weather is cooling down, the gardens will be freezing before you know it, the holidaze aren't that far off and the gals going to the retreat will be in full gear chomping at the bit to be off by the end of the month. Retreat girls, what's on your list for this month?

SharonG/FL

Comments (39)

• grammyp
    14 years ago

Sharon, you will be very busy this month.

I have 3 tops that need quilting,
    2 baby quilts to do before November,
    and 1 comfort quilt to do.

I don't know what I will work on at the retreat. Think I will bring birthday blocks and put them together. I have some I-spy blocks ready to be put together, and lots of strips that need to be used. Perhaps I'll stuff a sack full of crumbs and just make crumb blocks. Decisions, decisions. I have a lovely watercolor kit a sweet person sent me, too.

beverly

• vicky4x4
    14 years ago

I'm going to join in this month.

1. Put together boxed square top, machine quilt and give away to my friend Lydia.

2. Finish all the birthday blocks for the year.

3. Finish Calendar wall hanging.

Vicky

• Related Discussions

August, 2013 Quilting/Sewing Goals

Q

Comments (33)
    Donna I machine sewed the quilt blocks and then my husband framed them with frames we bought from Hobby Lobby at $10 a piece. The ladies the fabric came from did not quilt, but they did sew clothing and that's where the fabric for the blocks came from except for the tan/white floral neutral that I used from my stash. The older fabrics that belonged to my friend's grandma and great-grandma will be donated as I do not use old, old fabric in my quilts as I feel that would shorten the life of the quilt using 40 to 60 year old fabrics. Some of the fabric used in the framed quilt blocks developed holes in them during the handwash cycle in the washing machine, so the fabric is very, very old and delicate, and I did not feel it would be wise to use it in a quilt as I like my quilts to get a lot of utilitarian use. Best to you, Sandra
    ...See More

Sept, 2012 Quilting/Sewing Goals

Q

Comments (28)
    Donna, I love your wall hangings! It is so nice to see unique projects - thanks for sharing them with us. Sounds like the Jax Quiltshow was a fun weekend for you both. I really need to get my butt in gear and get ready for Camp! I was planning on doing sooooo much yesterday and the @#!$ power went off for the entire afternoon - for no apparent reason! Today, my stuff is still not working right, and I am in complete panic mode. I got one project packed up today - I'm so sick of it, I may not even work on it at Camp. But I should, just to get it done (well done to the point of joining the other done tops :)
    ...See More

August 2016 Quilting/Sewing Goals

Q

Comments (10)
    Sorry for abandoning this post........I watched a lot of the Olympics. Both of my goals were met and the quilt was sent and received. Now I need to get the Frozen panel quilt backed and quilted. Deadline is it's supposed to be in her hands by Oct 1 so I guess I better get on the ball. I made a couple of 24 X 36 quilt tops that I'll offer her for the girls' dolls, too. Do little girls even play with dolls anymore? I've also been playing around with a variation of the 100 patch quilt from Wedding Dress Blue. And, I'm gearing up to make some string blocks......can't decide what color to use as the center string. I'm not complaining but it's been so hot.......heat index was 119 one day.....cannot breathe if outside for very long and it just drains a person of any energy. Donna, that's probably one of the things that's affecting you. It'll get better...
    ...See More

September, 2016 Quilting/Sewing Goals

Q

Comments (19)
    Sharon I was especially concerned about you with all they said about your area. It was bad enough here. So much rain that I was getting pretty worried since it doesn't run off the South part of our property fast enough. (Hard-pan clay soil 6 inches down.) Yesterday there were 3 tornado warnings here, last night was pretty rough, howling wind and rain and lightning, then the power went off at 3:00 a.m. It was down for 6 hours. And now the phone is messed up. I'm better off than a lot of folks though, especially on the Gulf. But my nerves are shot, I think I'll fix myself a double margarita when DIL gets home tonight.
    ...See More
  • fran1523
    14 years ago

I am going to finish my Dresden plate blocks, assemble them and get this off to the long arm quilter. Who knew those blocks were so tedious. Then I hope to assemble my birthday blocks as well.

• msmeow
    14 years ago

Well, I'm really hoping September is going to be "remodel the second bathroom" month...so far I've got DH interested enough to go shopping with me tonight. Hopefully we'll take a week off soon and be able to get most of it done at that time, but knowing him & his job, it's more likely to be chipping away at it on weekends.

That said, when I find time to sew this month I am hoping to finish the top of my wall quilt for the living room. This sucker is going to finish at 120" x 60"! I only have the outer braid border to make, but that's an awful lot of braid! :)

Donna

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

Sharon, I don't know how you do it!

I'm going to concentrate of UFOs although that pile of new things looks tempting. If I quilt up some of these tops sitting here, I can hang two for Xmas.

I have to paint the living room, waterproof a leaky place outside, get a new gutter on the back and fix a sprinkler line so maybe I'll do that before starting something new. I want to be ready for winter so I can sit and sew the rest of the fall.

don't know what to take to retreat yet. Won't be a large project as I like to carry on my bag. Will ship some. Sure will be a nice getaway.

• chickadee_42us
    14 years ago

Ha! Needing to complete a few projects and carry on with a few more.
    Quilting projects
    Getting 12 blocks made
    Possibly getting involved in a quild ~

Clean house HAHAHAAAHAAAHAAAHAHA

• polardream
    14 years ago

You are all sooo busy, I need to figure out how to balance it all!
    Still need to do:
    1. Christmas Wall Hanging - add binding.
    2. Baby crib quilt - QUILTED, add binding
    3. 2 pillow shams to match "Saturday Flower Garden" quilt - dropping off at Longarm quilter tomorrow!
    4. make 3 quilted covers for floor cushions for classroom - started piecing.

Also, finally have new furniture choices narrowed down but need to decide on fabrics. Once that happens, then I need to get paint & repaint the LR/DR/Kitchen & hall (darn those open floorplan houses!) Wish I could go to the retreat ... someday!
    Sue/polardream

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Beverly, You and Gwen can have a Crumb marathon and see who makes the most!

Vicky, Glad to see you on this thread. Hope Lydia is getting along ok....is she home now?

Fran, your dresden plate will look great!

Donna, I've been through the chipping away at remodeling on the week-end bit. Sorry. When DH does anything now, I try to leave the house for a month or so. I'll be lucky if I can get the mini-blinds down and cleaned and the windows washed this month!

Linda, I have this honey-do list for Clay so all I have to do it sew. Maybe Beverly will bring her dad's new purchase for you to use at the retreat. Don't forget the forklift to get it up the stairs. @:)

Chickadee....I'm with you....CLEAN HOUSE????? What's that?

Sue, I applaud you/anyone for working and still taking time for yourself to get some quality quilting time into your day!

Well, I worked on #1 yesterday (Yeaaaa for me), cut borders for the lattice quilt i forgot to put on the list and have the sides sewn on. DGD arranged some more squares for a couple more doll quilts so those need to be sewn together today and I rolled another pillowcase last night when I couldn't sleep.

have a great day everyone...and pick a number to see what you'll work on today. @:)

Sharon

• itsmesuzq
    14 years ago

I will attempt to: Finish the current quilt I'm struggling on. I bought a jelly roll and layer cake months ago in a beautiful Moda fabric (Kashmir IV) but...the colors are all gorgeous pastels and I'm actually making myself nuts because they don't really have any strong values between them! Anyway this will get done - or else. ~LOL~

I also have some fall colors in mind for a autumn quilt, so as soon as I decide on a pattern I'm going to start cutting.

I have a Jenny Beyer table runner that I want to do (for a Christmas gift), so I'm excited to see how that turns out. I love her fabrics!

I'm hoping to get the BOM blocks (that I was lucky enough to win) done, and hopefully take part in another BOM before the year is out.

I'm going to finish up the cleaning/purging/recycling of the creativity room. I have done so much since I retired, but as usual many more to go. Along with that I'm anxious to start looking at sprucing up the house. I have so many little projects just waiting for me to start on. I think I should put "Post-its" with each project name on the fridge. At least I would see them all the time and be reminded they need to be done. ~LOL~ You know what they say about "out of sight, out of mind".

Susan

• sunnycentralfl
    14 years ago

OK, I'll jump in here because I am optimistic on getting 2 projects done...I'll be home for another 2 weeks and should be able to Git Er Done...
    1) very dark color scheme baby quilt that is on the machine and half quilted...and...
    2) my strippy quilt needs a border and I have the fabric ready to do the tedious hand cutting with a scissors up the 2 yards for the border.

My crumb stack is only 6 1/2 inches high. I'll let Bev win that one at retreat...LOL

All in all, I have really slacked off on the quilting this year...just can't get it going, but I do love that strippy one...great colors...

Enjoy all the progress you make each day!
    GR

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sounds like you've got yourself a plan, Susan, but I'd have to clear off the front of the fridge to put post-it notes there. @:)

Gwen, You have a machine to take with you on your travels, right? You can get that stack of Crumbs higher...I'm sure Beverly won't mind. I'm looking forward to seeing your strippy quilt hanging over the railing in the mountains.

I don't know why this site loads so much slower than other sites do, but it's really discouraging not to be able to check out every post.

Have a great week-end everyone.....

SharonG/FL

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here it is over a week into Sept. So, did you labor at your sewing machine over the Labor Day week-end? Here's my update (and additions):

1. BT - Backing on - DONE
    3. Finish Advent Calendar - WORKED ON
    Pillowcases - 40/18 (5 more done, 6 almost done, 6 cut and ready to do)
    10 pillowcases for military hospital in Germany
    Log Cabin RBR - (buy backing)
    Dollie Quilt tops - WORKED ON (3 need backing, 3 need borders, 4 are cut out ready to sew together)
    Trim 42 HST
    Quilt Alongs X3 ONE DONE
    BOM X2 - DONE

Made myself a pair of wrap around pants yesterday. Couldn't believe how easy it was!

Gear up everyone....3 1/2 months til Christmas.

SharonG/FL

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

1. Remove and replace binding on jar quilt. It's cupping a bit and I want it to lay flat. I do much better bindings now than I did back then.

2. Organize batiks, thinking of a batik scrappy thing just to keep busy. Visiting guests will soon occupy my major sewing area for three weeks. I need to find something I can do on the machine in the bedroom for the time being.

I have all these wonderful batik samples, almost fat quarters, lots of fall colors. I should be able to come up with a table runner or two.

3. I'm designing a new applique pattern. I need a lap project for football season.

4. Start organizing for retreat.

Saturday is the big garage sale at C&T publishing - where all the quilting books come from. I certainly don't need any more books but at $3 each, who can resist a new pattern.

• calliope
    14 years ago

Whoopie. I did finish off my wonky spiderweb quilt. I think I started it around February and it kept getting put on the back burner. That UFO bit the dust yesterday and is my new utility quilt on the daybed in the living room.

Hoping to knock out one more before month's end.

• solstice98
    14 years ago

I've just finished my October 'door quilt' (that's what I've decided to call the small seasonal wall hangings I'm making to hang outside the front door in the covered entryway.).

I'm working on the Fall door quilt and I should be able to use that now and during November. I definitely need to get that done asap.

I have 3 lap sized comfort quilts I need to make before the end of the year and want to get started on at least one of those this month.

The Christmas panel won't take much piecing, but I do want to make 5 or 6 6" blocks in Christmas colors for the bottom edge. Still looking for the perfect border and sashing fabric to go with that one.

And in Florida we are finally back to gardening season! Yea! It was in the low 80s this weekend so I was able to spend some time in the garden again; I just can't do it when it's hot. Sadly, gardening cuts into my quilting time on weekends. Then, sadly, quilting cuts into my gardening time. I either need less hobbies or more time!

• sunnycentralfl
    14 years ago

Finally got THE baby quilt finished yeah! 12 yr old GS sewed the letters TATE on the back.
    Gwen

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Linda, Away from main sewing area for 3 weeks? You are a brave woman!!!! You can work on removing the binding on your jar quilt while visiting.

Calliope, your wonky spiderweb quilt looks like a good snuggler! Cute!

Kate, Pictures! we want to see your door quilts!!!!

Gwen, Great job your grandson did sewing the letters on! Gotta make you one proud gramma!!

Thank you for showing what you've been working on. I had to be up early today...everyone have a great quilty day!

Sharon

• solstice98
    14 years ago

OK, here's a picture of the October door quilt; there are more pictures of the details in a separate post. I'll post the sunflower/tiger stripe one (Sunflowers and tiger stripes? Seriously? Yes!) as soon as I get it finished, hopefully later this week. That one will also have a long, narrow main quilt for the brick wall and a separate small one to hang on the door.

And you've already seen this one that I did for the B/W/? challenge. This will be my winter sun door quilt and I'll use it after Christmas. Then hoping to do something with a heart theme for February. Eventually I would like to have a different one for every month.

Currently I'm making them so I can use a regular shirt hanger to hang them but I'm looking for a pretty but not too expensive quilt hanger that will be the right size.

Kate

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kate, You have inspired me to make some wallhangings. Maybe that will be my main theme for next year.

Sharon

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

I loved your b&w contribution! Lots of the table runner patterns make wonderful wall hangings.

For hanging rods, I use old 12" wood school rulers. They are in thrift stores for a dime and work only for sleeves 12" or shorter on a wallhanging. I like the ruler to show a bit but then I decorate with old things so this might not fit in everyone's plans. You can drill a small hole at each end for a hanging string or fishing leader.

• sunnycentralfl
    14 years ago

Well on my way to another project: got the top complete for the strippy quilt. Sewed 10 sq pieces for the back, now on to the layering and basting tomorrow...will post a pic after I get finished the whole thing and finished happy dancing.

Thanks for holding my "feet to the fire", Sharon!
    Gwen

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Linda, Old things fit right in around our house!

Gwen, Your feet burning????? lol Don't suppose you'd give us a show of you happy dancing, eh? Maybe after having a bit of the 'sleep-aid' at retreat. LOLOLOL

Thirty pillowcases are completed with 6 more cut and a couple more in mind, then those are done!!!!!!! I cut out about 50 squares from a couple of mom's dusters for a doll size quilt for an adult niece who helped with my mom for a long time. They shouldn't take long to complete after I get the borders on them as I just plan to back them with flannel and birth them.

Whew......

Sharon

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

Finished the new binding and hung my "jars" in kitchen. Don't know why I thought it was too big. Works great and I look at it while I fix dinner.

Yesterday's "garage sale" at C&T publishing yielded lots of fabric at $2 a yard, patterns for applique at 5 cents each and a few books at $5. I didn't make good choices on books and wish I could go back but brought home lots of old magazines that yielded my next block pattern. So it was worth the time taken out of my day.

Today I take a break and put up a handrail. Have to do some mitering first. The old uncle fell last night and finally agreed to a hand rail after refusing to allow it all this time. But, want to get it up quickly before he changes his mind.

Kate's hanging inspired me and I cut strips of Xmas fabric and made one yesterday to keep my machine from thinking I don't love it anymore. I'll post it when it's trimmed and quilted. Company coming today and cleaning comes first.

• nana_2009
    14 years ago

Must finish a satin Bridesmaid dress in the next week and a half...wedding is at the end of the month. Then start on a kingsize double nine patch for my son and daughter in law for Christmas...haha...maybe done for next year. Then twin sized quilts for the three grand babies who have just graduated from cribs to big kid beds....Still must take things easy but am a lot better than I was in the spring. The flower beds need weeding desperately...dh is fogging for mosquitoes as I type this...then I will try to get as much done as I can today before it decides to rain again...

• vicky4x4
    14 years ago

1. Put together boxed square top, machine quilt and give away to my friend Lydia.- Done but decided to tie instead of machine quilt.

2. Finish all the birthday blocks for the year.

3. Finish Calendar wall hanging.

Vicky

Lydia was very happy with the quilt:

• fran1523
    14 years ago

Vicky, that is a beautiful quilt. I made something similar to that a few years ago. Nice and easy.

• sunnycentralfl
    14 years ago

Vickie,
    Your quilt is so pretty and Lydia looks so happy with it! It feels good to bring joy to others! Congratulations to both of you!

Gwen

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Vicky, I can see how you're drawn to Lydia...she looks like a precious saint. Great job on the quilt.

Sharon

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm a bit freaked out on pillowcases so think I'll set them aside next month and concentrate more on quilting.

1. BT - Backing on - DONE and PINNED!
    3. Finish Advent Calendar - WORKED ON
    Pillowcases - 32 DONE need 10 more
    10 pillowcases for military hospital in Germany - DONE and ready for Post Office
    Log Cabin RBR
    Dollie Quilt tops - 3 DONE/8 in various stages
    Trim 42 HST
    Quilt Alongs X3 - 2 DONE
    BOM X2 - DONE

Hang in there ladies....only 3 more months til the start of a new year!

Sharon

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

Don't know how you do it all, Sharon. Go girl! You are easily doing my share as well so I feel better.

I did make two table runners inspired by Kate's pattern, same as yours Sharon but without the larger center block.

This one is quilted and going back to Germany with my "exchange student son" for his Mom. Colors are much brighter but you get the idea.

• msmeow
    14 years ago

Woohoo, I did finish that quilt top!

It's too big to get all in one picture, but this is most of it.

This month I also took the Celtic Piecing class at QU and finished this wall hanging:

And this past weekend I put together a top from my 2006 or 2007 birthday blocks. I don't have a picture of it yet.

Donna

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

Good for you, Donna! Those are just great.

• msmeow
    14 years ago

Okay, here's the birthday block top. Some of you may recognize blocks you made! LOL

• polardream
    14 years ago

It is so fun to see everyone's pictures of their progress - LOVE IT! I need to take pictures because I have actually gotten a few things accomplished this month!

1. Christmas Wall Hanging -DONE!
    2. Baby crib quilt - DONE!
    3. 2 pillow shams to match "Saturday Flower Garden" quilt - waiting to get back from Longarm quilter
    4. make 3 quilted covers for floor cushions for classroom- 2 pieced - working on third.
    5. Flannel baby quilt for co-worker - top is pieced, sandwich & quilt.

Keep on sewing ... keep on sewing
    Sue/polardream

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

Love your quilt, Donna. Nice choice of sashing to pull it all together.

I don't know how you do it, Sue, with school. Can hardly wait to see those shams.

• msmeow
    14 years ago

Thanks! That fabric was in my stash, too...I think I got it in a bag I bought at a guild auction. :)

• fran1523
    14 years ago

Yeah. I finished the Dresden plate blocks and assembled the squares. Hopefully I can get it off the long arm quilter before I leave for Quilt Retreat.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Linda, Great job on the runner. It's really pretty. BTW, Clay is taking me on my own little retreat Oct 10-12. HE wants to go to a car show and I'll stay back in the hotel room and retreat. @:)

Wow Donna, You were really busy....excellent quilts, too!

Good for you, Sue! Do you have a pattern for the shams?

I worked more on the doll quilts today....cut the narrow border fabric for 4 of them and sewed a couple. Also sewed 5 hat bands for some hat blocks that Red had posted. I thought it was really cute. Just making blocks cause I want to, don't know what I'll do with them......

Sharon

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

Take any retreat you can get, Sharon. We'll sure miss you in NC.

I've taken up a UFO applique project and am making blocks that will go together like a jigsaw puzzle. I still have to work out placement of blocks but I'm forging ahead. Why are so many of my projects weird and "non-traditional"? I guess to see what makes it tick. And, no I'm not drinking or smoking funny cigarettes!!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations